Do twins/triplets run in families ? Myth or reality ?

BlossomHill
Woloholic

Do twins/triplets run in families ? Myth or reality ?

Postby BlossomHill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Babyscan
Do twins/triplets run in families ? Does it skip a generation etc
Just wondering is it myth or reality ?

My mum is a triplet........

maryalice1
Mini Wolly

Re: Do twins/triplets run in families ? Myth or reality ?

Postby maryalice1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Hiya

I'm a twin and in my family on my Mothers side, there have been four generations of women including my Mam who have had twins. It has not yet skipped. I was expecting to be told at my first scan that I was expecting twins,thankfully only one baby on this occasion.

BlossomHill
Woloholic

Postby BlossomHill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Good to hear.
All the fortune tellers I have ever been to said I would have 3 kids.
Have been wondering lately what my odds would be to have triplets......

blinginhappy
Royal Wolly

Postby blinginhappy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:35 pm

It runs in our family, DH was relived at our first scan there was only one in there! I've probably just jinxed myself if we ever go again :duh:

Thumbelina
Woloholic

Postby Thumbelina » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Fraternal (non identical) twins can run in families, but only on the mother's side. To have fraternal twins, you have to release 2 eggs - both of which have to be successfully fertilised, so it doesn't matter how many sets of twins, triplets, quads are on the father's side. Identical twins are a bit of a freak of nature! One egg gets fertilised & then it splits. It'd be pure coincidence if your Mum had id twins & then you did. Triplets start off as 2 eggs being released, one of which splits into id twins so having triplets can be hereditary too.
Have to say, I'd love twins. Not sure about triplets though!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

BlossomHill
Woloholic

Postby BlossomHill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Thumbelina wrote:Fraternal (non identical) twins can run in families, but only on the mother's side. To have fraternal twins, you have to release 2 eggs - both of which have to be successfully fertilised, so it doesn't matter how many sets of twins, triplets, quads are on the father's side. Identical twins are a bit of a freak of nature! One egg gets fertilised & then it splits. It'd be pure coincidence if your Mum had id twins & then you did. Triplets start off as 2 eggs being released, one of which splits into id twins so having triplets can be hereditary too.
Have to say, I'd love twins. Not sure about triplets though!!!

Thanks Thumbelina. Makes for interesting reading.

Service Finder
BlossomHill
Woloholic

Postby BlossomHill » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Any more for any more ?? :baby3:

Diva30
Mini Wolly

Postby Diva30 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

My friend is an identical twin and recently his wife had identicial twins as well ...they do seem to run in families...

marriedLife
Wolly Addict

Postby marriedLife » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm

I watched a program on BBC recently about twins it was called the Secret Life of Twins - they had gotten together something like 200 or 300 identical twins to do genetic tests on them to see if genes or surroundings play the biggest role in the way we turn out health wise etc..

In anyway as part of this they where looking at whether identical twins run in families and they said that although they don't really understand why these eggs split they have seen alot of cases where identical twins do run in the family but they don't understand why. They showed these three identical triplet girls who where in their early twenties I'd say and one of them had also had identical triplet girls. Then they showed this village somewhere - can't remember the exact location but it was in South America or Asia somewhere? And from of village of something like 300 people they where 58 sets of identical twins - it was mad!

I'm sure BBC lets you watch old programs online - maybe check their website for the documentary on The Secret Life of Twins.

whackywoman
Royal Wolly

Postby whackywoman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Fraternal twins run hop and skip in our family, my Mum was a twin and I think there was twins further back in her family. My Mum had twins, my Aunt who is not a twin had twins, my cousin who is not a twin had twins, my sister who is not a twin has had twins.

However, I have told god that thank you very much I do not want that gene, he obliged me with DD. I am 10 weeks pregnant today, first scan in just over 2 weeks and I expect that I am only carrying one or else........
[/url]
[/url]

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Babies

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T