format of speeches

Go to All Things Wedding

sue ellen
New Wolly

format of speeches

Postby sue ellen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:58 am

Hi girlies,
just wodering what the sequence of events are in the speeches. We have a father of the bride, father of the groom, groom, best man and bride, what is the order of the speeches and does the best man introduce each one?
Do you do a grace after meal?
Is it after he last speech that the best man itroduces the first dance or what happens?
Thanks ladies,
SE

MRSWJ
Mini Wolly

Postby MRSWJ » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:04 am

It depends when you are doing the speeches. We did ours after the meal.

Ok, this is what we did.

Best Man introduced Bride & Groom into the reception before the meal.

Them after the meal, best man introduced FOB for his speech, then Groom for his speech and then best man did his speech (when I say that, he read out three cards and two faxes we had received and that was it O:| ).

Sorry, getting caught up in my own again.

Our band introduced us for our first dance.

Probably not much help :-8
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

sue ellen
New Wolly

speeches

Postby sue ellen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:44 am

:) no that was a great help, many thanks!
I dont think our best mans speech will be anythign to write hoem about but at least it was better that your BM did that rather than got pissed and made a really long and bad speech!!!

momentsvideos
WOL Network

Format of speeches

Postby momentsvideos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 am

Here is the most common running order.

1) Best man introduces the couple into the room.
2) The priest says grace before meals
3) You have the meal
4) After the teas and coffees the best man announces the cutting of the cake, cut the cake.
5) The the best man starts the speeches by introducing the Father of the Bride speech.
6) Then the Father of the Groom speech
7) Then the Grooms Speech
8) Then the best mans speech.
9) The couple may present gifts to the mothers
10) Then grace after meals, sometimes the priest may say a few words if he is friendly with the families.

If the bride is speaking it is either after the Grooms speech or after the best mans speech (getting the last word either way!!)

Sometimes cards can be read out by a groomsman and/or bridesmaid, before the best mans speech, or sometimes inbetween the speakers to break up the cards.

Reading out of cards seems to be out of fashion, only cards from people abroad at some weddings.

If the speeches are before the meal the order is the same, but grace after meals not said obviously. The cutting of the cake may be at the very end of the meal also, not before the meal.

As I mentioned, this is what I see most often, but there are no rules as such. I did a wedding where the speeches were split up inbetween the courses. Hotels don't like this as it messes up their flow!!

Some weddings have the fathers speeches before the meal and the rest after.

I personally think it is better to have them all in one go, so that the groom can respond to what the fathers said etc.
Want a demo DVD? Just text DVD to 087 7991387

mama2E
Major Wolly

Postby mama2E » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Great thread - was wondering this myself................thanks O-O

tb001
New Wolly

Postby tb001 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:55 pm

thats great - I was wondering about this myself - Thanks

Insight Photography
louq
New Wolly

Postby louq » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:52 pm

I also had no idea of this. Was wondering if the order of the speeches or even who speaks is strict?
Neither H2B's father nor my father will be there. I know my mother might like to speak and possibly my brother (who is not the bestman).

momentsvideos
WOL Network

Speeches

Postby momentsvideos » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:06 pm

To be honest, I think a lot of brides think that they have to conform to certain rules, and I don't fully agree with this.

After all, you are paying for the whole thing, so if you want to do the speeches in a different way, why not!!
Want a demo DVD? Just text DVD to 087 7991387

Go to All Things Wedding

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T