How do I get married in Spain?

Go to Weddings Abroad

Pauln
New Wolly

How do I get married in Spain?

Postby Pauln » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 pm

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I want to get married in Marbella, Spain in September 2011 and I haven't the first clue about the legal stuff. My fiancee is from Northern ireland and I am from ROI. We want to get married in a sinple legal/civil ceremony in the town hall in Marbella. We are different religions (Catholic and Protestant.) Where do I start?!!! :eek And any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Polly.

wobbles1982
New Wolly

Re: How do I get married in Spain?

Postby wobbles1982 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 am

Your best bet is to try a wedding planner, i dont think my wedding planner sonya does marbella area but you could try celebrations in spain, perfect spanish wedding etc jsut type in spanish wedding planner in google.
Im also from northern ireland as is my partner but both have irish citizenship (do you both have irish passports?)
Contact department of foreign affairs and they will send you out the correct documments for you to fill in - this is what i had to do to make it all legal. But I would honestly recomment using a wedding planning service even if you just need their help for the legal stuff and want to plan the rest yourself they can usually work around a budget for you, hope this helped a little :wv

Celebrations in Spain
WOL Network

Postby Celebrations in Spain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 am

Basically non-residents cannot have a legally recognised civil wedding in Spain. They can have a Catholic Wedding as many of you know but not a civil wedding. There are ways round it if you own property but the paperwork is challenging at best. Many non-catholic couples do choose to have a Blessing in Spain after a civil wedding at home. Hope this clarifies things. Kerry

MrsGodkintobe
New Wolly

Postby MrsGodkintobe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:54 am

We are in the same situation so ye can have a church wedding which is legal or go to the town hall in yer home town and do the civil part and then have a blessing in Spain. It was grand for me as I always wanted a church wedding but OH didn't but he had to agree in the end as he wanted to marry in Spain.

I agree with wobbles1982 as a wedding planner can sort it all out. we have gone with Lisa from Bella Weddings In Spain but ye should contact a couple of planners and see what venues etc they can offer. :wv

yourdreamweddinginspain
WOL Network

Postby yourdreamweddinginspain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Just to let you know.. Only one party needs to be catholic for you to have a catholic wedding in Spain.. although church rules still apply, in that neither must have been married before..

Also within the Catholic church there are 2 type of ceremonies you can have and both are legal .. a full Nuptial ceremony (with holy communion) or an non Nuptial ceremony (without holy communion)

When a couple is of mixed religion and are unsure what type of ceremony to have.. the non Nuptial ceremony is always a good option because the ceremony is very much like that of a blessing ceremony, but is legal..

For non resident foreigners wanting to get married in a civil wedding in Spain.. Unfortunately then one party needs to be a resident / registered on the padron to have a legal civil wedding here.

Hope that helps..
Marcella :wv

Celebrations in Spain
WOL Network

Postby Celebrations in Spain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:31 pm

I don't know how it is in other areas but there are churches on the Costa del Sol where you can have an Anglican blessing. It would still not be legally recognised but it is a church wedding.

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Pauln
New Wolly

Postby Pauln » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks everybody who responded!! So, have I got this right: even if we have a Catholic wedding ceremony in Spain,it is not legal as we are not Spanish residents?

Celebrations in Spain
WOL Network

Postby Celebrations in Spain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 pm

We have not explained it right. If you have a catholic wedding then it would be legally recognised. If you have an anglican/protestant wedding then it would not be legally recognised. you cannot have a civil wedding.

yourdreamweddinginspain
WOL Network

Postby yourdreamweddinginspain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:21 pm

No No Pauln,

A catholic wedding is totally legal when going thru the catholic church.. paperwork is sourced from church at home to church in Spain. The problem is having a civil wedding in Spain when not resident.. two very different things! Marcella x

Pauln
New Wolly

Postby Pauln » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you for helping me with this, it's much appreciated!

Next

Go to Weddings Abroad

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T