HSE crèche inspection records.

Go to Mums & Kids

Luka
Wolly Addict

HSE crèche inspection records.

Postby Luka » Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 pm

The Dept of Children and Youth Affairs has said that in the next 6 – 7 weeks the HSE inspection records for crèche inspections will be published online. So we will be able to check the inspections results, which is good.

However, I am worried, as apparently, one of the 3 crèches involved in the scandal, had an inspection in the last 3 months & no problems were found in general!! O:| :eek To me, they had to know that an inspector was calling & the socks were pulled up! So can these inspection results really paint a true picture of what is going on in our crèches? This has me really worried. Do the dept have to give crèches notification of an inspector calling? I don't know how that particular inspection found everything fine in general - (I can't remember which of the three it was). But they must have known about it as that inspector did not see a child crying/choking & being screamed at & slammed into a seat!!! If a crèche gets tipped off, then whats the point! Easy to put on a show! OK I know there are good crèches out there, but we really need to question the way they are inspected as well.

Saw the below article in online in the star, let's hope a year is the absolute minimum.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/creche-staff ... r-in-jail/
Angel Baby Dec 3rd, 2008, 8 weeks.(heartbeat seen & heard)
Angel Baby April 17th, 2009, 10 weeks.(heartbeat seen & heard)

Looking after each other, Mammy & Daddy love & miss you always xx

DS Born May 1st, 2011.
DD Born February 26th, 2014.

mrspiggy
Royal Wolly

Re: HSE crèche inspection records.

Postby mrspiggy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Crèches have been getting 28days notice on these inspections. All crèches featured the other night were so due to complaints to rte & hse reports of them. I understand 2 other crèches were filmed (think that was mentioned on prime time).

I requested the most recent report from our crèche which the manager told me was about 2.5yrs ago. I will have it on Tuesday as she has to get it from head office.

A friend of mine is involved with hiqa (hospital inspection) and they get scheduled & unscheduled inspections which is what is needed.

I think crèches are going to have to install cameras all parents can log into from phones or laptops. Our crèche told me they are installing cameras but we won't be able to log on but can watch footage with manager.

mammymoo
New Wolly

Postby mammymoo » Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 pm

28 days??? You are kidding me. OFSTED inspects crèches/nurseries as well as schools in the uk and they get 2 days maximum notice and even this annoys me - they should be completely random.

Luka
Wolly Addict

Postby Luka » Thu May 30, 2013 9:58 pm

mrspiggy wrote:Crèches have been getting 28days notice on these inspections. All crèches featured the other night were so due to complaints to rte & hse reports of them. I understand 2 other crèches were filmed (think that was mentioned on prime time).

I requested the most recent report from our crèche which the manager told me was about 2.5yrs ago. I will have it on Tuesday as she has to get it from head office.

A friend of mine is involved with hiqa (hospital inspection) and they get scheduled & unscheduled inspections which is what is needed.

I think crèches are going to have to install cameras all parents can log into from phones or laptops. Our crèche told me they are installing cameras but we won't be able to log on but can watch footage with manager.

28 days notice O:| Sure they might as well not bother! I agree with a live webcam that parents can tap into. A "parent watch" type approach is the only way parents can know that their child is being treated properly. Which is sad that you need to monitor the person you hand your child over to! But if needs must. Obviously the parents of the abused children need to find alternative childcare, & they most of all, need the re-assurance that their child is being properly cared for. Just to add, I think the daily report sheets being falisfied was appalling. Your DS/DD did XYZ, lovely. when in reality they were hysterically bawling from being screamed at. Every child is precious, but for someone like me that lost 2 pregancies before him (& he may be my only child) I would be out for a head on a plate if he was treated like primetime showed.

DS Born May 1st, 2011.

Sassypants
Supreme Wolly

Postby Sassypants » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 pm

In one of the creches exposed on Primetime the other night there was CCTV. Now, I'm not sure if it was parent cams or CCTV shown to management, but there were cameras.

mrspiggy
Royal Wolly

Postby mrspiggy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I know someone who has seen all the footage from one of the crèches and even though what was shown was appalling there is far worse footage. A number of parents are involved with the gardai on the case.

Our crèche on days when dd has not been herself and has been whingy/clingy have actually written it in her book. In our case there is usually a scramble at end of day to fill up the nappies etc.

There was one day they were making rice krispie buns and let them all stir but when it got to our lassie she had a complete meltdown. Every few weeks they give us photos they have taken and they actually gave us the photos of her having her meltdown followed by her eating them quite gladly!

It wasnt parent cams but was supposed to be monitored by management.

McElhinneys Bridal Room
Babybump2013
Mini Wolly

Postby Babybump2013 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 pm

i have to say one of the most disturbing aspects of this (aside, of course, from the abuse) is that the creches know HSE inspections are going to take place and they know what criteria needs to be met. then why do they have so little respect for the system that they will not even keep up the pretense of complying.

Bluebear
Wolly Addict

Postby Bluebear » Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 pm

My issue is that the inspections are carried out by PHNs & Environmental Health Officers neither of which are trained in the issues of child welfare & behaviour. Surely the inspections should focus on carer/ child interactions through a series of observations not just a tick the box style checklist. As a parent whose child is in crèche I am less concerned with kitchen hygiene/ building standards than the immediate safety & care of my child. The whole inspection process needs to be overhauled- maybe a system not dissimilar to Hiqa needs to be introduced to crèches.

Luka
Wolly Addict

Postby Luka » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 pm

mrspiggy wrote:I know someone who has seen all the footage from one of the crèches and even though what was shown was appalling there is far worse footage. A number of parents are involved with the gardai on the case.

What! Why wasn't this shown? Ok maybe the parents wouldn't agree to it, but once the gardai have seen it & are involved it will lead to prosecution. I am afraid to ask what the "worse footage" was :o(

DS Born May 1st, 2011.

sunny1
Princess Wolly

Postby sunny1 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:09 am

I initially thought a live webcam where parents can check out whats going on at any time would be the way to go as it would give us such peace of mind. Now though Im thinking that I wouldnt be comfortable with every other parent in the creche being able to see my son all day. probably a better idea to have cctv in all the rooms and you can request to watch footage with manager if you have any worries...think mrspiggys creche is doing this?

Next

Go to Mums & Kids

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T