Meningitis Contagious?

Go to Mums & Kids

loz04
Mini Wolly

Meningitis Contagious?

Postby loz04 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 am

Girls

i am my own worst enemy for using google but dd1 had a high temp yesterday and a little rash I brounght her to the docs and he thought it was chicken pox (or chicken pops as she calls them!! :heartbeat: ) anyway while we were there the nurse came to the door for him that he was needed urgently. Anyway long story short a 10mth old was brought in and had to be rushed by ambulance with suspected meningitis, poor little mite pls say a prayer that he will be ok.

The doc came back into our room washed his hands and checked her again and said yes 99% chicken pox and that more spots would come up within a few hours. Anyway few hours later her temp shot up to 39.8 and I brought her straight back in he looked at her again and said defo not meningitis, still thought it was CP but also said as she had only about 10 spots could be viral and told me not to worry about meningitis. I was talking to someone last night and they mentioned that meningitis is contagious in its viral form?? Is this true? I am worried now as the doc came from treating the little baby who had meningitis straight into our room. Am especially worried about my dd3 who is only 13 weeks...thanks for any help and I know it sounds as though i am being a little selfish and not thinking of the baby who does have the meningitis but I have been praying that he is ok..

Mrs Electric
Woloholic

Re: Meningitis Contagious?

Postby Mrs Electric » Fri May 21, 2010 10:05 am

Try not to worry, this was me last week, DS suffers bad with ears but tonsils and chest were also very bad and when i got back from docs his temp also went up to 39.5. got such a fright and he also got a bit of a rash, antibiotic didnt work so i put it down to virus and after 3 days it settled but now on more antibiotics for ear again!!!just want to say that there is HORRIBLE things going at the moment and children with meningitis go down very fast, and doc did wash hands etc when he came back. try not to worry!!!hard i know as us mammies do is worry. :o(

theoracle
Most Helpful, Most Knowledgeable User 2011

Postby theoracle » Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 am

I hope your Lo is better now, sorry to hear about your fright. The viral meningitis is actually quite common. Although in rare cases, it cause fevers and seizures, it is not a serious illness. Bacterial meningitis is the one to look out for. Having said all that the chances of your lo catching it from the gp who examined the baby would be near 0.

Meningitis in Infants
Infants with meningitis may not have those symptoms, and might simply be extremely irritable, lethargic, or have a fever. They may be difficult to comfort, even when they are picked up and rocked.

Other symptoms of meningitis in infants can include:
•jaundice (a yellowish tint to the skin)
•stiffness of the body and neck (neck rigidity)
•fever or lower-than-normal temperature
•poor feeding
•a weak suck
•a high-pitched cry
•bulging fontanelles (the soft spot at the top/front of the baby's skull)
Viral meningitis tends to cause flu-like symptoms, such as fever and runny nose, and may be so mild that the illness goes undiagnosed. Most cases of viral meningitis resolve completely within 7 to 10 days, without any complications or need for treatment.

Treatment
Because bacterial meningitis can be so serious, if you suspect that your child has any form of meningitis, it's important to see the doctor right away.

If the doctor suspects meningitis, he or she will order laboratory tests to help make the diagnosis. The tests will likely include a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to collect a sample of spinal fluid. This test will show any signs of inflammation, and whether a virus or bacteria is causing the infection.

A child who has viral meningitis may be hospitalized, although some kids are allowed to recover at home if they are not too ill. Treatment, including rest, fluids, and over-the-counter pain medication, is given to relieve symptoms.

If bacterial meningitis is diagnosed — or even suspected — doctors will start intravenous (IV) antibiotics as soon as possible. Fluids may be given to replace those lost to fever, sweating, vomiting, and poor appetite, and corticosteroids may help reduce inflammation of the meninges, depending on the cause of the disease.

Casual contact at school or work with someone who has one of these infections usually will not transmit the infectious agent.

july7812
Wolly Addict

Postby july7812 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:00 am

loz04, my little man had menningitis at 10 wks old & no one else in the family got it (I have 2 other boys) & we would have all had close contact with my him & continued to do so when he ended up spending 2 weeks in Temple St.

Try not too worry too much (easier said than done), Im sure if the doctor thought any extra precautions needed to be taken with other patients he would have done this & informed you. Hope your little princess is feeling better now & again try not to worry.
[/url]
ImageImage
Mammy to 4 special angels - May 1994, Sept 1994, Jan 1997 & Feb 2007

loz04
Mini Wolly

Postby loz04 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Thank you all so much you have really put my mind at ease :thnk I should have just posted here last night instead of my googling!

We are outside today and DD1 is in great form so def on road to recovery. DD3 in great form as well so hopefully she wont develop anything.

Mrs Electric
Woloholic

Postby Mrs Electric » Fri May 21, 2010 1:55 pm

delighted to hear that!!i hate when children get sick as we feel so helpless!!!glad all is well.

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
loz04
Mini Wolly

Postby loz04 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks m;dear - sent you a pm btw!

MammyC
Empress Wolly

Postby MammyC » Fri May 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Hey there, as far as I remember meningitis can only live outside the body for a very very very short time and as a result isn't that contagious,
I say your dd would have had to lick that baby on the mouth to catch it off him.

Hope that wee baba is ok! Probably wasn't even meningitis anyway...
2 amazing little ladies

Go to Mums & Kids

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T