Names - Baby and Dogs

Go to Off Topic

Nostress
Wolly Addict

Names - Baby and Dogs

Postby Nostress » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Cabra Castle Hotel
So just read this article which has listed the Top Dog names for 2013.
Among others, on the list are Ella, Charlie, Maya and Stella

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/top-10-trendiest-dog-names-of-the-year?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_12457479

So would the fact you know a dog called Ella (for example) stop you calling your child that

Daisy Row
Empress Wolly

Re: Names - Baby and Dogs

Postby Daisy Row » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

It depends how close it is or how much I came in contact with the dog. We have friends we see a couple times a year and our LO and their dog share the same name. I didn't know them when I was naming LO.

I like human names on dogs, it's cute. If I really liked the name I don't think it would stop me.

When naming LO it more came down to other people with the name. If we didn't like someone then I didn't want to name our child the same :o0

lilywhite2012
Major Wolly

Postby lilywhite2012 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:04 pm

I suppose it would depend on how well I knew the person who owned the dog. EG- My parents adopted a dog and her name is Emma, that was always going to be my little girl name but isn't anymore!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

paperclips
Empress Wolly

Postby paperclips » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:27 pm

If I'm honest, this bugs the crap out of me. There are two names we would love to call our baby but cant because we know two dogs with the same name and I just couldn't give our baby the same name as a dog. I'm a huge dog lover but we don't have a dog. I understand that most people who have a dog treat that dog as a member of their family and therefore gives it a name that suits their family iykwim.

What's wrong with calling your dog Rover, Bruno, Toby, Timmy, Lassie, nowadays its Lucy, Jack, Lola, Millie, Finn!

SaraD08
Wolly Addict

Postby SaraD08 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

I don’t see the issue really…
My mums dog is called Ruby, she 8…. Ruby wasn’t a “cool” child’s name until recently….

My dog has I suppose a child names (an American kids name) – not intentionally it just suited him and its two syllabus sooo easy recognisable to him when we are aclling him.

We had a dog years ago called “Ben”…. And “Susie” – God my family really do use “human names” :o0

Personally I just don’t like the name “Rover” etc… :o(

Names for humans and I suppose for dogs are individual as the human/animal themselves.

Im sure no one ever means to offend or “purposely” uses a human name…. it’s just a name in my opinion… it does not belongs solely to either species! So it fair game.

IMO if I liked a name for a child just because a friend or neighbour’s dog was called the same name it wouldn’t put me off…. :wv

It doesn’t mean they are the same level in society or anything like it, it’s just a name :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~ Roger Caras

"The dog represents all that is best in man." ~ Etienne Charlet

redgp
Wolly Addict

Postby redgp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 pm

If it was family, then I don't think I would friends I didn't see that often, yeah, why not!

I think it's cute when animals have human names. *)

Glenside Hotel
holyshitballs
Princess Wolly

Postby holyshitballs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:48 pm

If I liked a name for a baby I'd call it the name, regardless if I knew dogs called that. Likewise for if I wanted to call my dog a name, I'd call it that even if I knew someone called it. A name is a name. If you like it - go for it!

Jane Smith
Empress Wolly

Postby Jane Smith » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

paperclips wrote:If I'm honest, this bugs the crap out of me. There are two names we would love to call our baby but cant because we know two dogs with the same name and I just couldn't give our baby the same name as a dog. I'm a huge dog lover but we don't have a dog. I understand that most people who have a dog treat that dog as a member of their family and therefore gives it a name that suits their family iykwim.

What's wrong with calling your dog Rover, Bruno, Toby, Timmy, Lassie, nowadays its Lucy, Jack, Lola, Millie, Finn!

I woud have thought Timmy was widely regarded as a "human" name?? Toby and to a lesser extent Bruno also in some parts of the world.

whoop whoop
Wolly Addict

Postby whoop whoop » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 pm

When we got our dog we did change his name cos it was the same as our next door neighbour's grandchild, thought that would be a bit weird for them...

So while it wouldn't bother me to give my kid a name that some dogs have, it would bother me if it was my mate's dog or my neighbour's dog or something (basically a dog I would have a lot of contact with or that would come up in conversation!)
And same the other way around. I'm sure a mate wouldn't like it if I gave my dog the same name as her baby...there are plenty of names out there!

cupcakebabe
Woloholic

Postby cupcakebabe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

One of my dogs has a very common human name and the other one would be kinda 50/50 id say. I dont see why names should be "reserved" for humans and just because a dog is named something doesnt mean that it cant be used for a child!

We picked the names because we liked them and didnt think it was a big deal

TTC Apr 2010
DH - 33, Sept 2010 SA No problems
Me - 33, Not Ovulating, Clomid 50mg Oct 10 - Feb 11
HSG Scan Feb 11 - Right Tube Blocked.
March 11 - Clomid 100mg x 3 months
Napro June 2011
Lap & Dye Aug 2011 - Right Tube Totally Blocked, Left Tube Badly Blocked.
HSG To Cannulize Tubes Sept 2011 - BOTH TUBES NOW OPEN!!!!
4.5mg LDN & 2000mg Omega 3 Daily, 7 Femara CD3, Utrogestan & Fematab Starting P&3 for 10 Days.

Bloods
Feb 2012 - P 76.36 O 396.96
March 2012 - P70.27 O 293.60

When the world says " Give up " Hope whispers "Try it one more time"

Next

Go to Off Topic

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T