Please advise about TSH levels! Very confused

Go to TTC

freddiebear
Mini Wolly

Please advise about TSH levels! Very confused

Postby freddiebear » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi I've recently found out my TSH levels are high (above 9) and so I now have started 50mg of Eltroxin for hypothroidism. My question is how quickly does the eltroxin help to return the TSH levels to the normal range of 1-2? I've searched the internet looking for info about this and just want to prepare myself in case it's a long wait O:|

McDaisy
Princess Wolly

Re: Please advise about TSH levels! Very confused

Postby McDaisy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Freddie
Great that you have found out and are having treatment.
Have you asked your doctor how long they expect it to take? I suppose like all medications it will be variable how long it takes to work. Important thing is that your doctor is checking your levels again soon, and can up your dose if the response is too slow.
GL and :babydust:

littlesugarloaf
Wolly Addict

Postby littlesugarloaf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 am

Hey Freddiebear, I posted a response to you over on the "6 months - 2ww" thread. Hope it helps.

Steph2
Royal Wolly

Postby Steph2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I have an underactive thyroid too, and I take 25mg of Eltroxin. When I first started taking them, GP told me to leave it at least 2 months before retesting. I takes about that time for everything to readjust to the medication. I think in most cases, a GP will wait 3 months to re-evaluate. In February of this year, my GP increased my dosage to 50mg, but believe it or not, I actually stopped ovulating once I started taking the 50mg. GP said it was possible the 50mg might have been too much for me, so I went back down to 25 and everything was fine again.

Anyway, I reckon you'll need to give it the two months at least. Hopefully things will settle down for you now that you're on the Eltroxin. The tiredness from having an underacive thyroid can be off the scale, as you may well know!! So at least you've caught it now ;o)
Steph xxx

Go to TTC

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T