Sample Wedding Dress - should I buy?

Go to All Things Wedding

puddles01
New Wolly

Sample Wedding Dress - should I buy?

Postby puddles01 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi

Looking for some advice on purchasing a sample wedding dress. I visited a couple of shops over the weekend and found a dress that I really like. Think it could be the one. The dress is going to be part of a sample stock sale that starts this weekend. The dress is too sizes too big. It can be altered but just wondering if altering if the style/shape would be lost in alterations? This is the only dress available as it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. The shop is holding the dress for me until Thurs, if I don't decide by then it will go into the sale.

Paula

flor
Wolly Addict

Re: Sample Wedding Dress - should I buy?

Postby flor » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 pm

It's hard to say without seeing the dress but usually altering two sizes down shouldn't affect the look/ style. Maybe bring a pic to a dressmaker and ask their opinion?

puddles01
New Wolly

Postby puddles01 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 pm

flor wrote:It's hard to say without seeing the dress but usually altering two sizes down shouldn't affect the look/ style. Maybe bring a pic to a dressmaker and ask their opinion?

thanks flor, the shop where i will be buying it will do the alterations for me.

lulu126
Royal Wolly

Postby lulu126 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

I bought a sample wedding dress that was a size 16 and had it altered to fit me (I'm a size 8-10) and it was perfect. None of the style or shape was lost. The only thing you need to watch is that if there's any decoration near the seams that it won't be lost or changed by the extra material not being there.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

littlelulu
Mini Wolly

Postby littlelulu » Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 am

@flor

Most dresses can be altered. Check what the shop think regarding the alterations.
If there isn't any problems, I would go for it

LadyLizzie
Royal Wolly

Postby LadyLizzie » Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 pm

You should be OK to buy it, my dress is 2 sizes too big and the shop is confident that it will be altered without changing the shape of the dress. They told me dresses can usually be taken in up to 3 sizes if necessary, without a problem. As previous poster pointed out just to watch for embellishment, pattern etc near the seam that might look different after alteration.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Abbey Hotel Roscommon
MiniMeonBoard
Ultimate Wolly

Postby MiniMeonBoard » Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 pm

i bought a sample dress and it had to be taken in all over. Most dresses can. If i were you id go for it once it doesnt affect patterns etc

TTC Since Sept 2010
Dh S.A Jan 2012 - all ok
Day 3 bloods Dec 2011- ok
Day 21 bloods Dec 2011 - ok
Pelvic ultrasound - March 2012 - have a small cyst on both left and right
ovary - both are very small!!
Another ultrasound booked for July 31st - cysts are gone
BFP - SEPT 30TH

secretbridie
Mini Wolly

Postby secretbridie » Wed May 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Go for it! My dress was the sample from the shop and it was a little too small for me when I bought. It has now been taken in at least a full size and is perfect!

A friend of mine had a nightmare 3 weeks to the wedding. She saw her dress in a magazine she was flipping through & casually asked her then H2B what he thought of it....to which he replied "a bit tacky" :eek :eek
So, the following day she went back to the shop & bought a dress that was a size 16 and her mother in law took it in to a 6-8 and it fit like a glove. Not that I'd be recommending buying that much too big, but it just goes to show what can be done if you have a good seamstress!

puddles01
New Wolly

Postby puddles01 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for all your advice ladies. Was back in the bridal shop today for another another fiiting. Decision made, dress bought. :)

Go to All Things Wedding

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T