Speeches: Paddy power betting slips

Go to All Things Wedding

lux
Ultimate Wolly

Re: Speeches: Paddy power betting slips

Postby lux » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

happyfamily wrote:
StupidSexyFlanders wrote: They were playing the "Thank You" game and it got to the point that whenever anyone giving a speech said the word "thank" there'd be a big guffaw and a load of cheering and roaring. .

I've seen this happen before at weddings with drunk lads and it really is so so rude and very unfair on the people giving speeches.

This is actually partly why we're doing our speeches at the drinks reception-we're not telling our guests about the timing of them. OH has a few mates who really annoyed me at other weddings with this type of carry on and it was one thing we really had to dicuss. It sounds like such a minor thing but I don't want my dad's or his dad's thoughtful words to be something to "have the craic with". They can have as much fun as they like at dinner, dancing etc but I felt really annoyed with them guffawing and shouting at other weddings.

queen30
Wolly Addict

Postby queen30 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm

seedee wrote:
queen30 wrote:yeh i honestly find it kind of rude, i understand the speeches are a bit boring for some people but they are meaningful for the bridal party and other members of family so i find it a bit disrespectful when people are more interested in passing the glass to the left or whatever instead of actually listening. every wedding i have been to my table has doen it though so i dont think most people see it that way. i reckon i might end up having it though as so many people just do it anyway.

well its not normally for the emotional speeches from the fathers or the groom, its just the best mans speech, which is normally evoking laughing and hooping anyway.
shouting over someones heart felt speech is rude no matter what way you look at it.

Ive been at weddings where it was done through the father of the brides speech!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

seedee
Royal Wolly

Postby seedee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:23 pm

queen30 wrote:
seedee wrote:
queen30 wrote:yeh i honestly find it kind of rude, i understand the speeches are a bit boring for some people but they are meaningful for the bridal party and other members of family so i find it a bit disrespectful when people are more interested in passing the glass to the left or whatever instead of actually listening. every wedding i have been to my table has doen it though so i dont think most people see it that way. i reckon i might end up having it though as so many people just do it anyway.

well its not normally for the emotional speeches from the fathers or the groom, its just the best mans speech, which is normally evoking laughing and hooping anyway.
shouting over someones heart felt speech is rude no matter what way you look at it.

Ive been at weddings where it was done through the father of the brides speech!

thats pure ignorance. but to be fair, im sure that would have happened with or without a paddy powers betting pack.

Jawl
Ultimate Wolly

Postby Jawl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:24 pm

I've always observed the best of order from wedding guests for speeches at weddings :eek But I think if somebody was rude enough to guffaw or shout over somebodys speech it wouldn't matter if they had the bet slips or not.

Urban Fairy
Empress Wolly

Postby Urban Fairy » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:28 pm

We had the paddy power betting slips on the tables. They are presented very tastefully as I'm sure the brand Paddy Power themsevles have obviously agreed their usual green logo isnt suitable for a wedding. The font is lovely on them. Only 2 of the 15 tables we had didnt use them. They are free so you should order them and just dump them if you dont like them.
Not sure how I feel about the thank you game, I've never played it. In essence I do think its a bit rude because to me it seems your not really paying attention to whats being said properly and just concentrating on the thank you count. I dont know really.
Formerly known as Dublin Angel

Mrs. Brown still makes me laugh..."Contraception? Ah, Father,if ya don't play the game,don't make the rules"!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

Jawl
Ultimate Wolly

Postby Jawl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Urban Fairy wrote:We had the paddy power betting slips on the tables. They are presented very tastefully as I'm sure the brand Paddy Power themsevles have obviously agreed their usual green logo isnt suitable for a wedding. The font is lovely on them. Only 2 of the 15 tables we had didnt use them. They are free so you should order them and just dump them if you dont like them.
Not sure how I feel about the thank you game, I've never played it. In essence I do think its a bit rude because to me it seems your not really paying attention to whats being said properly and just concentrating on the thank you count. I dont know really.

Yes they are presented very tastefully and don't look at all out of place on the tables with all the other bits and pieces.

I think they thank you game sounds a bit rude. It's almost like taking the puddle out of the thank yous? And a wedding is a big day and a lot of work goes into it therefore B&G will have a lot of people to thank and it's their only public platform to do it during the speeches. I know if I was giving a speech and somebody was roaring laughing every time I said 'thank you' I'd feel like telling them to eff off and wouldn't be bothered finishing... :o0 :o0

WeddingsOnline Blog
ciaraella
Ultimate Wolly

Postby ciaraella » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm not familiar with the games that some people have mentioned, the paddy power pack that we had just involved everyone guessing a time for the speeches and writing it down, there was no passing of glasses or counting thank yous or anything like that. I wouldn't have liked if people were interrupting the speeches with loads of noise >:o(

wifeyttc
Woloholic

Postby wifeyttc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm

We are having them for the craic.I have been to a good few weddings recently were they didnt have the slips but the betting still went on at the table.Its like a tradition so weather you like them or not the betting will prob still go ahead regardless.Not much you can do about it.
[/url]

turkish
New Wolly

Postby turkish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:02 pm

I wasnt a major fan of them but then when at the last few weddings everyone was betting anyway so then i thought they are just a bit of fun and u dont have to searh out a piece of paper form the bar!!!i think they are a bit of fun and if people dont want to use them then they neednt!!!

LazyBaby
Mini Wolly

Postby LazyBaby » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm

ah I think those games are a bit of a laugh and really not worth getting hung up about

I know it's an important day for the bride and groom, and they have to thank all the people... but seriously.. how many weddings have you been to? how many speeches have you heard? how long do they go on for...... we all know the hotel gets thanked, the mammies get thanked etc etc.. but as a guest, while they understand thank-you's are necessary, thanking the wedding coordinator and the priest are hardly personal heartfelt appeals that need to be pin-drop attention paid to them??
Personally, I enjoy the speeches and love listening along, but spare a thought to a guest who is attending their 12th wedding and hearing the same thank-yous.. a bit of a game to celebrate is hardly ruining the wedding day for the b&g ??

PreviousNext

Go to All Things Wedding

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T