Go to Health & Fitness

honeypot2010
Royal Wolly

Weddingness!!!

Stomach Ulcers.....

Postby honeypot2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi girls,

Had to go to A&E on last Sunday night late.;o(
Couldn't move off couch, severe pain under boobs, and in middle of chest- honestly thought I was having a heart attack, went to doc-on-call first, then they sent me to A&E saying it was a suspeted blot clot on lung because I'm on the pill.

Had loads of different blood tests, x-rays etc.

Ends of I've stomach ulcers which I irritated with a bloody Calypo!!!
No more Friday night sweet & sour, the odd fizzy mineral, ice-cream etc. On anti-biotic's for a month, so no alcohol.

I've never had them before, what else should I stay away from?
And has anyone ever got rid of them for good? Afraid they are going to be a reocurring problem ;o(

sharmon
Mini Wolly

Postby sharmon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Not sure you can ever really get rid of them!! My mother swears by gaviscon (you can get it in liquid or tablet form) when her ulcer flares up. Be very careful though about taking things like aspirin & neurofen as they are absorbed through the stomach lining & can irritate (& in some cases cause) stomach ulcers. Hope you feel better soon.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Doll
Mini Wolly

Postby Doll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Cilla,

God I feel for you. I used to have the exact same problem. The pain used to be unbearable. I too ended up in A & E once I really thought I was dying. Tbh when I thought about it after it nearly always used to triggered by booze. I ended up going for an endoscopy where it was confirmed that my stomach was inflamed. There is a family history of it. I don't know if you are carrying an extra weight but a doctor bluntly said to me at the time that I should lose some weight as it does no help. Took me a long time to decide to lose it but I have not had 1 single problem since. I never get heartburn, indigestion and I never have to take anything like rennie etc. I eat alot healthier and drink alot less now. I think it all makes a difference.

There were so many times I cried myself to sleep I was in such pain. I'd pace the room and would not know if i should sit, stand, lie on the floor or what. I hope you get sorted anyway.
[url]http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYdDdGc/
[/url]

honeypot2010
Royal Wolly

Weddingness!!!

Postby honeypot2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for reply girls but I wouldn't be heavy, (could be doing with loosing a stone) & wouldn't drink alot. One bender every blue moon! But wouldn't really drink in house!
So I don't know why it has come over me all of a sudden.

Anyhow Its just something I'm going to have to get used to. :o(

Thanks for tips girls... O-O

poppet56
Princess Wolly

Postby poppet56 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm

i have the exact same prob at the mo! was in prob the second worst pain in my life (first being a car crash - have yet to experience the joys of labour!). i was in tears and exactly what you said - everyone kept saying i had a tummy bug but pain was under my boobs and in my back. what did doc give you? i am some kind of tablets for ulcers but some people seem to be on antibiotics. i am not overweight and dont drink much at all - a glass of wine a week - some weeks wouldnt drink at all. did doc give you any other advice?

honeypot2010
Royal Wolly

Weddingness!!!

Postby honeypot2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 pm

poppet56 wrote:i have the exact same prob at the mo! was in prob the second worst pain in my life (first being a car crash - have yet to experience the joys of labour!). i was in tears and exactly what you said - everyone kept saying i had a tummy bug but pain was under my boobs and in my back. what did doc give you? i am some kind of tablets for ulcers but some people seem to be on antibiotics. i am not overweight and dont drink much at all - a glass of wine a week - some weeks wouldnt drink at all. did doc give you any other advice?

I'm on an anti-biotic called Romet and have been prescribed it for a month.
Doc told me to avoid fizzydrinks (which I rarely have) and to cut out chinese (which I have most Fridays) so thats only thing I have to avoid.
Sorry I can't be more help. O-O

Bruno Rosa Photography
mrs2010
Mini Wolly

Postby mrs2010 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm

hi

the reason some are on antibiotics and some aren't is what caused the ulcer. theres a bacteria called h pelori (sp) and if thats the cause you'll get antibiotics.
Other causes like diet, weight, alcohol, stress, medication do not respond to antibiotics and need acid reducing meds and change of behaviour.
To be fair i've been fairly healthy and have never had anything else wrong with me but I thought the pain was beyond unbearable. too sore to cry, sit stand, lie on the ground! called out the doc one night and got IV painkillers and even this didn't hit the pain that night. Its awful, hope ye feel better soon.
For what its worth I'm off meds ages now and have been doing good. For me excess alcohol, diet coke and caffeine are the main triggers.

re what to avoid:
alcohol (red wine is really bad but all alcohol isn't good for it)
caffeine
chocolate
fizzy drinks
ibuprofen
some supplements/ soluble vit C etc can be v harsh on stomach
stress
smoking

honeypot2010
Royal Wolly

Weddingness!!!

Postby honeypot2010 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks for that mrs.2010

O-O

sunny505
Wolly Addict

Postby sunny505 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Honeypot and the other girs with stomach ulcers,

How are you getting on now? In the past three weeks, I have had a pain 3 times, each time lasting over a day, just above belly button - feels like it's burning inside. The last time, I could feel it on my lower back too. I suspect it's an ulcer cos I googled it (I know, I know but am going to the doc tom) and it said milk and antacid can give temporary relief - took some and within ten minutes it was about 50% better! Before that had tried taking ponstone painkillers to no avail. Like some people said I was the same - didn't know whether to stand, lie, sit. I can get quite stressed, don't drink, not overweight but do like coffee and chocolate. Did you have test to check it- xray of tummy or camera going down into stomach? Thanks. Any infor appreciated.

mrs2010
Mini Wolly

Postby mrs2010 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi,

the test you get is an endoscopy but your pain sounds a bit low for an ulcer. Usually under the join of your ribs if you know what i mean and the back pain would be more around your bra strap although when its really bad it can be harder to determine where it is. You'll have to go to the doc really to suss it I guess. The endoscopy isn't too bad, camera into stomach no pain just a bit of discomfort. If it is an ulcer the medication is great for relieving it but its really expensive.

Next

Go to Health & Fitness

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T