What colour to paint hall, stairs and landing?

Go to House & Home

cosy days
Royal Wolly

What colour to paint hall, stairs and landing?

Postby cosy days » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm finding it tough to commit to a colour. I was thinking maybe a sage green. I have coffee coloured carpet on the stairs and landing and cream tiles in the hall. It's such a hard decision. There would be nothing worse than hating the colour in your hall. All advice really appreciated :wv

curlywurly
Mini Wolly

Postby curlywurly » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am

We brought a sample of our tiles in the hall into a Paint Shop and he matched a colour from the tile, it looks great and its what i would recommend but you have to get a good paint shop that can do this!

bubblybride2010
Royal Wolly

Postby bubblybride2010 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 pm

i know it sounds boring but u cant go wrong with magnolia- we just painted our whole house magnolia and im looking forward to adding lots of coloured accessories, u could put a coloured Vase in your hall or a rug or painting on the wall that would lift the magnolia colour- its also a really warm colour- some colours can be cold and if you have tiles on the floor is can add to the coldness esp in the winter. HTH :wv
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

mrspants
Supreme Wolly

Postby mrspants » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:30 pm

I would go for something neutral, a warm cream or very light biscuity colour. The lighter the colour the bigger the space will seem.

curliwurli
Empress Wolly

Postby curliwurli » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:56 pm

how about matching the cream colour of the tiles on most of it and then maybe one or two accent walls the same colour as the stairs carpet?

sunnygirl
Wolly Addict

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:25 pm

we painted the wall going up the stairs 'eau du nil' from laura ashley and the other walls cream - turned out fab!

DD1 - 4 years old
DD2 - 2 years old
Expecting No. 3 in May

Westgrove
BACKFORGOOD
New Wolly

Postby BACKFORGOOD » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:08 pm

We have moved int our new house & just love our hallway, get so many comments on it, (had interior consultant help me with colours) the biggest thing she said you must take into cinsideration is the amount of light your hall gets. Our hall is quite big with a huge landing window and two big glass panels each end of the front door, os it is always full of light and very open looking. We went with cream/stone type colour porcelain tiles on downstairs floor which has a centerpiece with creams/browns through it. Stairs left natural white oak. Up my long wall - running up the stairs iykwim we put wallpaper, it is a pale green with large gold & cream floral& leaf print. the other three walls are the pale green. I think the name of the paint was providence(sp) - dulux, i have just ordered my curtains to dress the windows & Loving it all!! In my opinion sage green darkens a apace a lot, our last house had quite a small entrance hall & the couple before us had it painted a deep shade of green & it really closed the space in, left it quite cold looking, we painted over it (4coats) in a buiscuit colour & wow the difference it made we couldnt get over it. Good luck with your decission

HomebirthHopeful
New Wolly

Postby HomebirthHopeful » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:05 pm

we've just painted our hall, stairs and landing bright yellow! We also have crema porcelain tiles in the hall and a cream/coffee carpet on the stairs and landing and we LOVE the yellow, think it works really well. It's not a pale yellow either, really sunny and warm without being orangey - if that makes sense! It's like a warm sunshine bath every time we come out of the bedroom - love it! I agree with the last poster though - light is really important - we have loads of light, including a skylight on the stairs and it's all really open so could go with a darker shade, but you'd want to be careful your sage isn't too dark if you are a bit sparse on the light, last thing you want is your h/s/l to feel dark when it's supposed to be welcoming. For me, magnolia is a no-go, we're colourful people (kitchen is red and light blue, bedroom a rich blue and we're working our way through all the rooms... all changed from the verying shades of magnolia when we moved in!) but I do get the point that people want a clean space to accessorise! I fully advocate your choice of green though, just be cautious of the shade depending on your light situation.

haverford
New Wolly

paint

Postby haverford » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 pm

biscotti by crown is nice esp if you have white stairway and skirting it neutral :wv

Go to House & Home

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Europa Academy, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 883 9270 Email: office@weddingsonline.ie
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T