Back to blog

69% of couples covering all wedding costs themselves, says results of Ireland’s largest wedding survey by weddingsonline

Infographic - weddingsonline survey results 2014

PRESS RELEASE

Couples move away from traditional values in 2014 with 69% of couples covering all wedding costs themselves

weddingsonline, the country’s most popular wedding website have just announced the findings of their latest survey, the largest Irish wedding survey of its kind.

Traditional values are changing in 2014 with 69% of couples footing the wedding bill on their own and 15% with the help of the bride’s parents. Civil weddings are also getting more and more popular with 1 in 4 couples opting for a civil ceremony over a church wedding. (1 in 5 in 2013)

This year’s findings from the weddingsonline survey, based on over 2,145 participants in January, capture the current attitudes towards weddings in Ireland.

  • 69% of couples are footing the wedding bill on their own and 15% with the help of the bride’s parents
  • Midweek weddings are on the rise with 54% of couples opting for a wedding Monday to Friday
  • 89% of those getting married are aged between 24 & 35 years of age
  • 19% of males are aged 36+
  • August is still the top month to get married (15% of weddings)
  • May was the 2nd most popular month to get married (13% of weddings) – possibly due to more favourable weather conditions
  • A significant 63% of all respondents still opted for the more traditional hotel wedding while 20% chose the increasingly popular country house and 8% a castle.
  • Social Media has been a useful tool for the modern bride and groom with 50% using Facebook, 53% using Pinterest and 93% using weddingsonline to help them with their preparations
  • December engagements down 4% from last year’s high of 26%, however it is still the most popular month to get engaged.
  • 22% of couples waited 24+ months between their engagement and their wedding
  • The average total budget for a wedding including the honeymoon cost in 2014 is €21,666 (up 2% on last year)
  • The average spend on each category in 2014 was as follows:
    Venue €9,716
    Dress  €1,494
    Band €1,750
    DJ €393
    Photographer €1,438
    Videographer €936
    Honeymoon €3,916
    Bridesmaids  €534
    Cake €329
    Favours €256
    MakeUp €285
    Hair €241
    Suits €669
    Décor & Flowers €477
    Transport €439

 

  • 39% went over budget
  • 89% will choose to honeymoon abroad while the remaining 11% will honeymoon in Ireland
  • 10% of those surveyed got married abroad
  • 6% of those surveyed employed a wedding planner

Some of the regrets expressed by the surveyed brides and grooms included letting budgets spiral and having too many bridesmaids or groomsmen.

ENDS

weddingsonline was launched in 2000 and has since become Ireland’s busiest wedding community. Over 80% of all engaged couples in Ireland use weddingsonline at some point in their wedding plans. weddingsonline is popular for its lively forums, online wedding directory, competitions, real weddings and daily tips and advice on everything from wedding dress trends to budget friendly wedding ideas. Over 1000 wedding industry suppliers have made weddingsonline their marketing partner.

weddingsonline will be going through the survey results in more detail at the weddingsonline Annual Conference which is taking place at Clontarf Castle Hotel on 10th February 2014. For more information or to book a place please see the following link: 2014 Conference – Your Best Year Yet

For any PR requests, please contact

Roisin Murphy, Host PR

Tel: 01 855 8500 / Email: [email protected]

For any sales related enquiries, please contact

Email: [email protected], Tel: 01 883 9270

Main Image by Andrew O’ Dwyer Photography

The following two tabs change content below.
Pamela

Pamela

Pamela enjoys writing about all things decor (she loves buying it too) and has a not so secret addiction to stationery.
Pamela

Latest posts by Pamela (see all)

  2 comments

  1. Avatar Seb says:

    Very interesting figures!

  2. Avatar denomino says:

    Great insight into Irish wedding market. I am a little bit confused with the following stats you mentioned:
    93% using weddingsonline to help them with their preparations
    and then:
    Over 80% of all engaged couples in Ireland use weddingsonline at some point in their wedding plans
    Why the difference? Isn’t it the same thing? Should you not say then that over 90% used weddings online?

  Leave a Comment

Find your perfect wedding supplier

Add to favourites
More in News, Celebs & PR
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Engaged?

There's some serious rumours circulating about Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's relationship status and Venessa Paradis is NOT happy about...

Close