Once your family and friends receive invitations to your Big Day, the next thing they will do is check out your wedding website. That’s where they’ll get all the key details that are too wordy to put on an invitation. So what do you do if you don’t want any gifts? Here’s how to share your “no gifts please” info on your website.
Is it ok to ask for no gifts?
In short: yes.
We are beyond having to follow specific traditions, including creating a gifts registry purely for the sake of it. If you feel like you’ve got everything you already need, then skip the gifts list! What’s key is how you communicate your wishes to your guests.
What should go on the invitations?
Your wedding invitations should really only include the most important details. These are: the date, time and location. Everything else is up to you! You could either include an extra card with other details or you could write out your wedding website address and direct guests there for more information, including your “no gifts necessary” wording.
What can you request instead of gifts?
This is also entirely up to you! It really depends on what you have, what you need and what you’d like to do. Many couples choose to ask for money instead, so they can put it towards the honeymoon, a new home or something else, like donating funds to charity. These are all perfectly acceptable!
“No gifts please” wording ideas
If you would rather receive funds:
- For more information about our wedding, please visit [wedding website link].
- In lieu of gifts, we would appreciate a contribution made to our [honeymoon, home, etc] fund.
If you are requesting a donation to charity:
- Please, no gifts. Instead, please consider making a donation to your favourite charity.
- In lieu of gifts, please consider making a donation to [charity chosen by the couple].
If you’d prefer no gifts at all:
- We’re excited for your presence, not presents. Please, no gifts.
- Your presence is truly enough, no gifts please.
- If you were thinking of giving us a gift to help us on our way, a gift of money in a card would really make our day.
- We are sending out this invitation in hope you will join a celebration. But if a gift is your intention may we take this opportunity to mention, we have already got a kettle and toaster, crockery, dinner mats and matching coasters. So rather than something we’ve already got, we would appreciate money for our honeymoon pot. But more importantly we request that you come to our wedding as our guest.
- Our life together has already begun, we have almost everything under the sun. If you should wish to buy us a gift, a little extra money would give us a lift. But most importantly, we request, you share our day as our wedding guest. Now that we’ve saved you any fuss, we can’t wait for you to celebrate with us!