Paul from Milehigh Wedding Band offers his advice on choosing your Music for your Wedding…
There are a lot of different aspects to consider when it comes to choosing wedding entertainment. The traditional thinking was to have the wedding band play after the dinner and have a DJ thereafter. This has changed somewhat in recent years with a great diversity of entertainment being considered. In our 10 years experience in the wedding entertainment business there are a number of things that we have picked up that we want to share with you.
- What type of entertainment package are you thinking of having for your wedding? A number of wedding music groups offer a wide range of services including: church/ceremony music, arrivals/pre-reception music, dinner music, band for after dinner reception and DJ. If you are thinking of having a number of elements beyond band & DJ it may work out more cost efficient to book from one group, where possible, as most entertainment groups will offer significant discounts for package deals. It also means you are dealing with only one person on the day with regards to your wedding entertainment instead of 3 or 4 different individuals.
- Always ask how many musicians are in a band and how long they play for when you are making an enquiry. There is a large variance of members in wedding bands and can range from 2 – 20. Also some bands play to a strict 2 hour set while others will play for 3 – 3 ½ hours. These factors are important when determining value for money.
- Where possible see and meet the band in advance of booking in order to get a good feel for the people you are dealing with. If you can’t attend an event send a friend or family member in your absence. It is also good to place some emphasis on the degree of professionalism that you receive in all your correspondence with suppliers. If they are professional from the start they will likely be professional throughout the booking and event preparation stages.
- What level of customisation will you require from your entertainment suppliers? Most entertainment suppliers have
some degree of flexibility and customisation in their offerings but very few will offer a completely customised service. If this is important to you be sure to let your feelings known from the start.
- Similarly what styles of music are you looking for? Some entertainment acts specialise in one genre of music while others play all styles and cater to all tastes.
- How important is presentation to you with regard to your entertainers? Styles range from formal black tie to informal jeans and t-shirt. Again if this is important to you factor this into your thinking and make enquiries accordingly.
- Do your homework and research potential suppliers thoroughly before making your decision. Wedding Forums and Client Testimonials can be a good source of information and can also give you peace of mind. Past users of a supplier are usually very open about their experiences and will share their impressions upon request.
- Finally don’t underestimate the importance of entertainment with regard to your wedding. We always tell clients that there are a number of things that you want to be right for a wedding. These include: the venue, the food, the guests, the fiancé (goes without saying!), and the wedding entertainment.
I hope you find the above information useful.
The following two tabs change content below.