Looking for wedding cake? In collaboration with Maria from Maria’s Cakes, we’ve prepared this list of essential questions to help you with your booking. After all, the cake is one of the main features of the wedding day. It’s prominently displayed at the reception, and truth be told… some guests look forward to having the cake more than the whole dinner! Can you blame them? Wedding cakes aren’t just pretty, they’re utterly delicious too.
Feel free to cross out any questions that don’t apply to you. And if you don’t really know what kind of cake to have (we know something about this too… as we pretty much like ALL cake), don’t be shy to ask for recommendations or bestsellers. Remember, your baker is a professional, so they’ll be able to help with all your cake conundrums and make pretty much anything you ask them to, no matter how unusual. Here’s our list of essential questions to ask your wedding cake maker…
• How far in advance do I need to book your service?
• Are you available on my wedding day?
• Do you have testimonials from past brides?
• Do you have a price list I can take with me to consider my options?
• Do you offer a cake tasting and consultation service?
• Will you help me with choosing the right size for the amount of guests?
• Should I bring in pictures of cakes I like?
• Can you make a cake just like the one in my favourite picture?
• What type of cake do you specialise in/do you have a favourite kind?
• What flavours are most popular in wedding cakes?
• Can you make cookies/cupcakes/cake pops?
• Can you make additional smaller cakes for table centrepieces?
• Will you make the wedding cake yourself?
• How many options of cake flavour/fillings do you offer?
• Do you charge extra for square cakes as opposed to round cakes?
• Do you charge extra for biscuit cake or fruit cake layers?
• Is it possible to have multiple layers with different flavours?
• Do you cater to special dietary requirements?
• Can you make sugar flowers?
• Can you ice and decorate cakes provided by me/my family?
• Is there a charge if I change my mind?
• Can I get your quote in writing?
• Is there a deposit to pay? Is the deposit refundable?
• When is the final balance due?
• Do you provide the stand, or should I arrange one myself?
• Do you provide cake boxes? Can you recommend the right kind for this cake?
• Can the remaining cake be frozen?
• How soon before the wedding day will the cake be ready?
• How should the cake be stored until the wedding day?
• How will the cake be delivered to the venue?
• Have you delivered to this venue before?
• Are there any extra charges for mileage/bank holiday etc?
• What happens if you fall ill/can’t make it on the wedding day?
• What is your cancellation policy?
And don’t forget, we have other useful checklists for you as well, all free, to help you with your wedding planning – just click on the topics below.
The ultimate wedding planning checklist
What to ask your wedding hair stylist/makeup artist
Wedding goodie bags for kids
Bridal beauty prep list
The ultimate wedding emergency kit
What to do after the wedding – legal checklist
Wedding photo checklist
Main image from Daniel and Marie-Thérèse’s real wedding by Aileen Kennedy Photography
The following two tabs change content below.
If you think the bride should always have the last word, then Rachel is on your side! A devoted fan of everything quirky, unusual, colourful or crafty, she loves scouting WOL's real weddings for unique and fun touches. When not gazing at pictures, she's dispensing no-nonsense advice on everything from reception entrance songs to bridesmaid problems.