14 weeks 2morrow and folic acid

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dita Posts: 960
I am 14 weeks tomorrow and my doctor told me to stop taking folic acid at 14 weeks as they don't know the effect the folic acid will have on a growing baby... Are you all stopping at 14 weeks...just wondering are we all getting the same advice..........
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Hi dita, I was talking Pregnacare all along which includes the recommended amount of folic acid. When I was 12 weeks the midwife told me I could stop it if I wanted but if I wanted to keep taking it then that's no harm either. All it means is that your baby's spine is fully developed by this stage so you dont actually need to take it anymore but I cant see it doing any harm if u do continue taking it. I am still taking Pregnacare
Nadie Posts: 1111
Ah here, that seems a bit overdone does it not? Pregnacare has folic acid in it and I'm still taking that. There's folic acid in loads of stuff - breakfast cereals and supermilk have a lot of it - surely to God we'd have been told before now to avoid folic acid if there really was a risk? I'm already off the cheese, wine, fags, prawns, runny eggs, enough!
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Well on the Pregnacare box it does say you can take it while ttc & right through pregnancy.
milis Posts: 7998
Your body doesn't store excess folic acid, you wee it out every day, so you can't take too much. I was told I could stop taking it at 14 weeks too, but it was said in a 'stop wasting your money' kind of way. I still take pregnacare some days, when I think of it :o0
Emme Posts: 4735
[quote="Nadie":3disut1y]Ah here, that seems a bit overdone does it not? [/quote:3disut1y] here here