17 month old still drinking 3 bottles of aptamil?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

JLa Posts: 527
HI all, Any words of advice for the mother of a 17 month old who still drinks 6oz of aptamil in the morning and at night, and 5oz during the day? All bottles. I'm gradually reducing her afternoon bottle, but she still likes to have it, gets cranky if we don't give it to her. I decided to leave her on aptamil as I don't want to put her on cows milk at the moment, and I'm not sure what's a good alternative - I think soya isn't recommended but is rice milk ok? Any advice as to how to move her on would be really appreciated!
popple Posts: 1368
I think i'd start by cutting out the middle bottle, offer her a cup/beaker of water instead. Does she have her bottle with her lunch or before naps or when? When I was changing to cows milk with my ds I used to put half and half into his bottle to get him used to the taste. So you could try half aptimel and half rice/goats milk or whatever subsitute you want to use and then gradually increase milk and reduce formula. It worked well for us and so maybe worth a try.
JLa Posts: 527
Thanks Popple. She has a beaker of water with her lunch, she generally wants the bottle after she wakes up from her nap. She's in creche, so I'm gradually reducing the amount of that bottle, I might ask the girl in her room if she thinks she could drop it or move to a cup etc. She's doing fine, eating pretty well, so I don't think it's doing her any harm, but I thin kit is time to lose at least the afternoon one!
popple Posts: 1368
No its not doing her any harm. I would ask the creche to wean her off the middle bottle and then it's just two bottles. Maybe give her those two then in a cup so she gets used to it.