1st Anti Natal class-Do i need to bring anything?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ScissorsGirl Posts: 785
Ok so from reading a few girls saying u need to well book ur Anti Natal apps fairly quick i called the rotunda today and i was told to come in next mon morning for my 1st App...im sure its just the inatial one,no partners...i was quite shocked to be getting in so soon and i forgot to ask if i need to bring anything with me? Its just the one i was prob ment to do wks ago and she said she would then book in my next ones from that day... So prob dont need anything really but would u say even a pen and paper would come in handy??
Delphinium Posts: 3027
You don't need to bring anything. They will take bloods and possibly a urine sample. You'll be weighed and measured and they will go through your medical history with you to start your file. You can probably expect a scan as well. There's no real need for a pen and paper. What you might want to do though is use it to write down any questions you have before you go in so you don't forget to ask! The Rotunda gives you an excellent handbook anyway and you can read that in your own time at home.
Oh god sorry i dont know how i worded that...i ment Anti natal class?? is that what u call them?? U know the "teaching u how to be a mammy and give birth and all that" :-8 Sorry i suppose anti nanal App is the wrong thing to say...What are them classes called??
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="ScissorsGirl":1l2bk4e4]Oh god sorry i dont know how i worded that...i ment Anti natal class?? is that what u call them?? U know the "teaching u how to be a mammy and give birth and all that" :-8 Sorry i suppose anti nanal App is the wrong thing to say...What are them classes called??[/quote:1l2bk4e4] Ahh... when you said "App" I assumed appointment..... I thought 24 weeks was very relaxed of you to be waiting on your first antenatal appointment!! :o0 They are just Antenatal Classes like you said! Afraid I haven't done mine yet - I'm doing a one day course privately. AFAIK the first classes with no partners are more telling you how you should be looking after yourself in pregnancy so I don't think you would need anything but a phone call to the physiotherapy dept in the Rotunda will sort you out. They are also very good to e-mail back if you drop them a line. Just look up the physio dept on the website. :wv
mrsp2010 Posts: 1461
all i took was my hubby and my bump =)
Thanks hun i just changed my heading :o0 Ye id be v relaxed at 24 wks to be only booking my 1st scan... ye i wasnt gonna bother doing that 1st one but she booked me in for it so maybe u need to do it to get onto the more important ones...i dont mind tho my Fav subject is pregnany at mo so anything involving it im happy to do :lvs
[quote="mrsp2010":18ugk05j]all i took was my hubby and my bump =)[/quote:18ugk05j] H2B not allowed to this one...he,ll be allowed to the rest just not this one .... thanks tho x
tilsun Posts: 4506
The first one in the Rotunda is very different to the following classes. It's done as a kind of lecture, quite full which is why they don't invite partners and it's easy to get a place on it. If I remember correctly there's some short info on diet, exercise etc. There is also stuff on maternity leave and social welfare entitlements. Pen and paper is probably useful if you like to take notes but I think they give handouts of important stuff. You don't do the rest of the classes until much later in pregnancy and they're at different times to that first one too :wv
pag Posts: 633
[b:1t0c1dpw]Antenatal[/b:1t0c1dpw] classes :o0 I presume you aren't anti birth yet! Rotunda first class is done as a lecture with general info. Once you have done this class they will send you out a list with the next classes. There is chat with the parent education facilitors and they tell you what they will cover in the next classes (the women who will run the antenatal classes), medical social worker, physio (who will go on about pelvic floor exercises and leaking ladies) and the dietician. The diet section was the most interesting I found. They give handouts and I found it was quite busy and very warm so try to sit near window and bring bottle of water.
Thanks girls :thnk ha anti natal :o0 sure im clueless i was making it sound like it was my 1st scan earlier on... thanks for the info anyway hope they let u go for a lot of toilet breaks :-8