1st Appointment in Holles St

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

2crazy Posts: 1478
Hi all, have my 1st appointment in Holles St tomorrow afternoon. Just wondering what I can expect? I know they will test a sample and take some bloods. But is there anything else?
Daff Posts: 11644
are you public or semi private? They'll weigh you, take bloods, BP, bit of history and that's about it tbh - was a big anti climax :o(
2crazy Posts: 1478
going Public. yeah thats what I've heard from a few people alright. Just hope I wont be waiting too long to be seen. Appointment is a 445 so hopefully wont be too long?
I went semi last time and first appointment took about an hour. I've seen the queues in public though and was told it can take up to 3 hours first time so to bring a book! I'd try and get there early if I were you. NO matter what time I was given going semi I was always there at 12.45 and was usually out by 1.15 (bar first appointment!). I going to go with the midwives clinic then after first one and you get given proper times and hardly have to wait!
smurf77 Posts: 2216
On my first apt last time round in SPC HS and this time around in Public HS I was the exact same amount of time with waiting etc - 2 hours. I was there today and it was busy busy busy due to the xmass break prob. Attending the Midwives clinic so it wasnt too bad for me but as Daf suggested bring a book and get there early!!
smurf how are you finding the MWC? Really looking forward to doing it this time please God. Is it a lot quicker?
smurf77 Posts: 2216
Hi Daff I actually attended last time too just went SPC for first apt and then MWC the rest of the time Today yep it was a hell of alot quicker as the Consultant for the Clinic was late so the place was swinging. Whereas for the MWC there was only about nine people. Thing is the MW spend alot more time with you than the doctors would so sometimes you are still waitin a while. Benefit is when its your turn they have a chat with you. Find it more holistic tbh. Id totally recommend it. One thing thats annoying is the only afternoon clinic the MWC do now is 4.30 in the afternoon??? Sure Im finished work then and Id have to bring LO. Ill be going to the morning ones.
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
I am public in HS and have to say I am very impressed...always in and out in about an hour. First apt was longer because the midwife apt was for 11.30am, where history was taken, bloods, pee sample and weight. They also gave a really good info pack. Everyone was so nice and about 5 different people said congratulations. I found it very exciting. My dr apt was then at 1pm and I was in straight away and they did my bp and double checked my history and did a mini scan and I saw baby for the first time. It was a great time for asking questions as well and made the apt for the 20 week scan and the nuchal scan at 12 weeks, so found it very exciting and very efficient.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Usually history, blood etc have never been scanned on my 1st app to be honest I would go earlier than your app though definitely!
rouged Posts: 121
Had first appointment public in Holles St on Tuesday. I was in there for 2 hours overall but it was a double clinic because of the holidays the week before and one of the doctors hadn't turned up as well so don't know if it would be quicker normally. It wasn't too bad a wait as I was in and out of different places during that time, firstly I had to go to a queue at the end to get weighed by first nurse/midwife, then into a room to another nurse/midwife to give medical history then out to give urine and blood samples to a third nurse/midwife. (Silly question - how can I tell the midwifes and nurses apart? Do they do different functions in the hospital and wear different uniforms?) That all took about an hour and then I was waiting another 45 minutes or so to see doctor and it was up on the bed, blood pressure and mini-scan and he said come back in 4 weeks with appointment with GP in between. I asked him about midwive clinic and he said I was suitable for that since I'm low risk so will just see midwives from now on.