1st scan @ 20 weeks!! - Normal?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sodbride Posts: 105
Just got a date for my 1st scan and its at 20 weeks, like 5 months. Is this normal - seems very late to me.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
You normally get a scan at 12wks or thereabouts. It depends on how busy the hospital is. I have my first scan at 15wks. It was the same on DD last time round.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
I have heard of this before. It depends on the part of the country you are in. In waterford we only have 2 scans, one at about 12 weeks (which in my case was 14 weeks) and one at about 20 weeks (which in my case will be at 23 weeks). If you have any problems i.e. bleeding, bad abdominal pains etc they will send you for an early scan. I was sent for a scan at 8 weeks due to a small bleed. It is a very long time for you to have to wait. COuld you speak to your GP and ask that he/she sends you for an early scan?
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
ye this is normal sodbride! unfortunately we do not get an earlier/later scan. Well most don't anyway. I think it depends if you are going SP/private. I got the one and only scan at 20 weeks, going SP in HS. If all is well, they generally don't scan again.
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
I'm private and only had 1 scan at 18 weeks. It varies from area to area (which is crazy IMO). Plus some consultants seem to do mini-scans at each visit, if they have the equipment.
nea dude Posts: 749
A scan at 20 weeks is a bit late for a first scan. AS another poster said there are usually two scans, 12weeks and 20weeks. I would think the 12 week one is important to see where the baby is forming and if everything is going ok. The 20 week is much more detailed and checks the development of the babies organs. Ask your GP and try schedule a scan earlier if you are not comfortable with waiting so long.