Menu

1st Song - Band or CD

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby2010 Posts: 908
Just wondering what ye're all having for the 1st song - is the band playing the song or are you getting them to put on a cd of you're favourite artist singing it? I'd never thought of it til H2B mentioned it - that the band singing it wouldn't be the same as listening to the artist.
BlushingB Posts: 1634
It took us ages to pick a song for our first dance. We loved the particular version of it that we picked and really wanted that one to be played. We searched all over for the rare disk that it was included on and phoned the band to tell them we'd FINALLY decided on our song, two days before the wedding. They told us that they knew the song well and could play and sing it themselves, but it just wouldn't have been the same. So, on the day, we handed them the disk and they played our song. It was a brilliant moment, everyone in the room went 'awww' when they heard it, as it's so lovely. I think most bands will be fine playing a song from a CD as very often so much of the song is conveyed by the known artits singing it. If you love the version you've heard on a CD then stick to that one.
Walking Bump Posts: 2095
We're having a really old song "You belong to me" originally sung by a band called the Duprees. Our band don't know it so we're getting it played on CD.
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
weffers Posts: 208
We ahve decided that we are going to play a cd for our first dance as we are having Only just begun by the Carpenters. Which wouldn't sound the same sung by the band as their is no female singer.
Gabby Posts: 2873
We don;t know what to do yet. We are having Your Song by Elton John. The band said they can learn it but they have a female singer and I think it might sound different so don;t know what to do.
Huggles Posts: 1108
We're having a CD for the first song. It's Come Away With Me by Norah Jones. It's 'our' song so we really want to hear it from Norah herself!!!
baby2010 Posts: 908
Thanks a million. superstarshejay, I was thinking that it might look odd with the band just standing around while we're dancing too, that's why I asked the question in the 1st place. But there seems to be half and half-ish as to what to do. I never realised it was something you could do! Think we might go with the CD (despite my original thinking) as it's more than likely going to be an Andy Williams song and I love him singing!
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
Even though our band do a lovely version of our 1st song (Voyage), we had the CD. Though a few people said we were being finicky, by getting "Christy" to sing it rather than band, but band didn't mind, and its what WE wanted!!!
foxybox Posts: 672
Hi Desertmoon, We are having Voyage as the song when I walk up the aisle. Cool choice! :wv