Menu

1st time flying with 2+1/2 yr old

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wedjul05 Posts: 5673
I am going over to my sis in Germany with DS in 2 weeks. It is really his 1st time on a plane but he flew when he was just 8mnths old but sure he wouldn't rem that. And it's my 1st time travelling with him like this so I suppose I'm nervous too :-8 He is a super cautious little man and I'm worried things will go wrong and he will refuse to get on the plane or something. My plan is to pay no heed whatsoever to the planes and just act normal. He knows he is going on a plane etc but of course has no idea!!! I'm bringing his fav cars, books etc on the plane with me and it's only a short flight. But I'm worried that he will be scared. His fav saying lately to EVERYTHING is ' I don't like that'. I'm sure he will be fine, prob just taking it all in but still... So for seasoned mums who travel with a toddler, any tips for me??? thanks :wv
exbride06 Posts: 231
I fly all the time with my son (nearly 3) and I find distractions work well. He's a great flyer but recently has started to get a little nervous at take off and landing (just like his Daddy). I always let him pick a new magazine at the airport and I have a lolly pop for take off and landing. He never gets them so the joy of seeing one kinda of distracts him. Our flights are normally short but I always bring lots of snacks for him and a few crayons so he can scribble in his new magazine. For longer flights > 2 hours, I would recommend a portable DVD player. Hope it all goes well for you.
Blackbird Posts: 5135
I think you'll be fine. I found DS1 much easier to travel with at 2 than at 1. He was a little frightened of the noise the engine makes before take off but we warned him it was coming. Apart from that he was grand. New magazine or something is a great idea and lots of snacks. We had a portable DVD player too and found that a good distraction.
i want one Posts: 2893
i would second the DVD player even for a short flight it is so worth it. and at least he will have his own seat wont be sitting on you adding to the discomfort. and maybe some of his favourite snacks. you will be fine. best of luck
i want one Posts: 2893
meant to say u can get kiddies ear plugs for flying too to dull the noise a bit if u think this will scare him. we got them for DD in boots, but ended up not putting them in as i think she would freak more at us touching her ears than the noise.