2 weeks to wedding and no dress

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kk10 Posts: 10
I need help! Its two weeks to my wedding and I have no dress. I began a process last January with a well know and experienced wedding dress designer. She has short cutted, missed appointments, not had work completed for appointments, not listening to what I want for the dress and so many other problems which I wont get into at this time. My HUGE problem right now is I collected the dress yesterday and it is a shambles. Completely unwearable and has been hocked so much it is beyond repair as it is missing 4inches from the bust which is needed for it to fit. (I have not lost or gained one pound in weight since last Jan) My question is where will i get a dress with two weeks to the wedding?????? I have accepted that my dream dress (which I spent 10 months trying to get the designer to create ) is no longer going to be my dress. But where will I get someting I even remotely can settle for at this satge???? I work full time also so time is against me.
MiniBlingfor2012 Posts: 673
U poor poor thing, you don't need that stress right now. First things first, where are u based and other wollies might be able to let you know specific shops that can help? Most shops have dresses you can buy off the rail and will have a recommended dressmaker that can fit this dress to your exact shape. Time is of the essence now though so best to start ringing around your area and get into see them. Let us know how u get on and best of luck :action32
MrsGPants Posts: 835
Maybe post your dress size and height. There might be married wollies out there looking to sell there dresses, that will see this post and could help you out.
teatimebride Posts: 754
I'm guessing from your name that you are based in Kilkenny???? If you are, please ring all the bridal shops in the area TODAY, they will have dresses for sale off the rack that they may be able to alter in time. Cameo and Jeutonic are the ones that I visited in Kilkenny City, there's another one in Knocktopher, can't remember the name of it but I'm sure it's in the phonebook or you'd find it on google. I bought my dress in My Dress bridal shop in Carrick on Suir and I couldn't reccommend the girls in that shop more. They had a great sale there at Halloween but they might have a few dresses left on sale. They have a website so you should find them on google as well. There's an Oxfam Bridal shop in Dublin so they might be worth a call/visit. You could also put a plea up here for any brides that would be willing to sell you their pre-loved dress giving your details i.e. size, preferences in colour etc. If all that fails, a visit to Monsoon or Debenhams may be in order. HTH
Buttercup x Posts: 535
Hi kk10...first of all I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this is all happening in the run up to your big day. :action32 I have 2 appointments for bridal shops in Dublin for Saturday, as you can see by my ticker I am in no rush! :-8 Would you be able to get to Dublin on Saturday? You can have both appointments....pm me and we'll sort it out!
AliceCullen Posts: 1408
So sorry this has happened to you, I'm a firm believer that everything can be sorted and we have 2 weeks. So firstly as another posted said, ring all bridal shops in your area, maybe you should post your dress size and height here and someone might have a dress that will fit? I know the wollies will be very helpful as nobody likes to see someone in this position.
paperclips Posts: 3146
Hi KK10, thats absolutely terrible >:o( You should try mcelhinneys bridal in Donegal. I know if your based in KK that it might be a treck but I have heard fantastic things about them. They sell dresses off the peg and I am sure that they will be able to help you out. My SIL bought her wedding dress there and it was incredible. She was able to take it home on the day she bought it. I am booked in to see them in January to get my dress for March. They are on Facebook under the name The Bridal Rooms. Check out some of the pics they have posted. Best of luck with everything.
vidia Posts: 2960
Thats absolutely shocking! You poor thing, you might have some luck here.. Hope you get sorted really soon..
macattack Posts: 1617
kk10 - this is awful. So sorry you're going through this. I agree with mrsom - if you can manage to make your way to ballybofey, mcelhinney's is great. They have a big selection in all different sizes & like mrsom said they operate an off the peg system so you'd have the dress straight away. Think the appointments there are generally an hour but if you explained the situation I've no doubt they'd be very understanding & give you as much time as you need to try things on. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.
ianstuart Posts: 1947
[quote="mrsom":16uy30aw]Hi KK10, thats absolutely terrible >:o( You should try mcelhinneys bridal in Donegal. I know if your based in KK that it might be a treck but I have heard fantastic things about them. They sell dresses off the peg and I am sure that they will be able to help you out. My SIL bought her wedding dress there and it was incredible. She was able to take it home on the day she bought it. I am booked in to see them in January to get my dress for March. They are on Facebook under the name The Bridal Rooms. Check out some of the pics they have posted. Best of luck with everything.[/quote:16uy30aw] +1 for Mc Elhinneys , they keep loads of dresses in stock and the dress you try on is the dress you buy. They are so helpfull.