20 week scan gone for public patients in my area

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

workingmom Posts: 3429
I was disgusted to be told that public patients in my area are no longer offered the anolomy scan as the system can't cope with the demand. Disgraceful, and they say that cuts are coming in the health service.... if they cut much more away the whole thing will fall apart. I have to say, that I think it's awful, the most vunerable in society suffer...... sickening.
secretlyttc Posts: 269
Hi mrsgk, that's awful! In the UK there are loads of areas where you only get one scan at 12 weeks and nothing thereafter but I had thought Ireland was a lot better for that kind of thing. It's ridiculous that they would expect people to wait from 12 weeks until the birth wondering if everything is ok!
Yes, especially as the hospital can't even deal with babies born before 34 weeks, imagine if a baby needed emergency surgery and they didn't know till it was born! it's disgraceful, roll on the next election, I tell you, I'll have buckets of cold water ready to throw at them when they come to my door....
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
That's awful Mrs gk :ooh What part of the country are you in?? Can you pay to have the scan done if you want???
Kilkenny, yes you can pay, but why should you have to? and I think some people couldn't afford it, hence they are public .......
baby peanut Posts: 810
This country is a mess :o( Mind you, where I am, you just get one scan if you're public. With DD it was at 13 weeks and then nothing else. This time around it was at 19 weeks and thats the only one. Waiting for 19 weeks at the beginning was as bad, just incase something was wrong IYKWIM. I went for a private scan for my own peace of mind. *)
secretlyttc Posts: 269
[quote="mrs gk":2ma06ebr]Yes, especially as the hospital can't even deal with babies born before 34 weeks, imagine if a baby needed emergency surgery and they didn't know till it was born! it's disgraceful, roll on the next election, I tell you, I'll have buckets of cold water ready to throw at them when they come to my door....[/quote:2ma06ebr] My God, this is just so ridiculous, and at a time when the country has more money than ever before, why do people keep voting these eejits in? Ireland is so like the US really now!
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Mrs gk I'm in Kilkenny as well and had my scan at 15w 5d. Was at the hospital again at 23w 5d and was expecting a scan and it was only when I asked we were told that we wouldn't be getting another scan unless there was a problem! The doctor tried to say that there was a study being done on whether the no of scans can be linked to Autism! We have a private 3d scan booked for 27w but I think it's disgraceful that no other scan is done just to check that everything is ok! Like you say they can't deal with premature births not to mind if there was anything wrong! If something did happen I'm assuming we would be sent to Waterford or Portlaoise? Either one even in a speeding ambulance is a minimum of an hour away!
mrs.smiffy Posts: 1747
That is a disgrace.... why to pay for something that should be normality? I have to say when we decided to leave Ireland and move to the UK I thought over here would be much like back home in Germany or at least better organised than in Ireland (no offense) but I'm very disappointed. If it comes to maternity rights, maternity pay and the whole protection of the mother and the unborn I find it very 1950s. Back home once you find out you're pregnant your gynaecologist (spl?) does the first scan right away. Everytime you have a check up with your gyn you have an ultrasound. You have far more tests done than over here. You even get tested for DNA defects before the 12th week. I'm having my second & last scan in 2.5 weeks but thankfully when I'm home in August i will get another scan done over there&get the doc to double check, which will cost me hardly anything.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
[quote="mrs gk":3s7xtomh]Kilkenny, yes you can pay, but why should you have to? and I think some people couldn't afford it, hence they are public .......[/quote:3s7xtomh] I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for it since we are already paying for it with out PRSI etc but I just wondered if there was any option of having the abnomality scan done. It would scare me to think that I wouldn't get one no matter what.