20 week scan - Rotunda Private?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

eissac Posts: 153
Hi all I have my 20 week scan (I will be 21 weeks) next week, I'm attending the Rotunda Private. Can anyone who has attended here and had this scan tell me what to expect? I'm confused where the scan will actually take place - when they first booked me in for it, when I was 13 weeks, she booked me into the main hospital for the scan as she said the system wouldn't let her book it into the private building, but when I came back for my 16 week scan to ask then for it to be changed back to the private building, which I did. My scan is booked first and then I have an appointment booked after to meet my consultant, so I take it the consultant doesn't do the 20 week scan. So my question is - where is this scan done and what can I expect?! Thanks and sorry for the waffle :)
Sassy1 Posts: 446
No idea of the Rotunda I am attending Holles Street but I assume all the 20 week scans are much the same. With mine they checked the babies spine for Spina Bifida then checked the heart and watched it pumping and the blood flow. Then they checked the internal organs and showed us that the baby had a nice full bladder (nice to know lol) and checked leg growth both top and bottom of the leg same with the arms. They took various measurements etc all it is, is a more detailed scan just to make sure everything is in the right place and everything looks normal
Thanks for your reply Sassy1. Can anyone who is attended/has attended the Rotunda private help ref the location of the scan?
buttercupbabe Posts: 1224
I attended the rotunda semi private & scan was in the main hospital ultrasound dept. Why don't you call & ask to be sure?
bellabear1 Posts: 211
Hi eissac The Grainne Suite is where they do the private scans just ring a double check its there. Its on the left as your approaching the main door of the private clinic at the midwifery college and is also signposted for parents education classes and GTT clinic. Good luck with it its really amazing you get to see alot of detail like ribs and heart chambers etc. one little word of advice is if you wear glasses for tv bring them, I didn't so it was a little blurry on the big screen for me. The sonographer does the scan and puts report in your file for your consultant to go through with you. Enjoy
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I'm a bit confused. I'm private in the Rotunda and with Professor Malone. For all of my scans and appointments I just go to his office in the RSCI. Is it not the same for all consultants (as in you go to where ever their particular location is?
bellabear1 Posts: 211
Its the one off anomoly scan thats done by a sonographer its a longer (bout 15 min) scan and they look in depth at allvthe babies functions. Unless your consultant has his own big scanner which he well could if he has a specific interest in fetal anomoly you would probably get at least one scan from a seperate bigger machine
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="bellabear1":t456hey1]Its the one off anomoly scan thats done by a sonographer its a longer (bout 15 min) scan and they look in depth at allvthe babies functions. Unless your consultant has his own big scanner which he well could if he has a specific interest in fetal anomoly you would probably get at least one scan from a seperate bigger machine[/quote:t456hey1] Ah ok I see. I get all of mine (inc anomaly) done in his office. He has a big ole scanner alright.
Thanks so much bellabear1, that's really helpful :)
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I'm Rotunda Private as well and I was told that I could be in either the GrĂ¡inne Suite in the private clinic or in the main hospital. As far as I know, Prof Malone has all his own gear and that's why you don't have to worry about where to go Regina! The scanner is not always available in the GrĂ¡inne and you would have to call maybe a couple of days beforehand to see which it will be in. In my case, I had my anomaly scan 5 weeks ago. I just went to the main reception and asked where I should go today. I was in the main hospital in the sonography department and it was the same on my last pregnancy. The scan itself can take 20 to 30 mins and you get a really good look at baby. They check facial features, development of skeleton, brain development, heart, circulation, bladder, kidneys, everything. They take measurements and make sure baby is growing at a normal rate. They also check the position of the placenta. Just a point to note..... you are told there is no need to have a full bladder after 16 weeks but at my scan, I had just been to the loo and the sonographer couldn't check the position of the placenta. I have to come back again to have this checked. So if you don't really, really need to go hang on til after your scan (loo is just outside!) and your sonographer will get a better scan.