200 euro for pre-marriage course?! - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babs42 Posts: 78
Jeez ours was with Accord last month.....€200.00 and that [b:30mwooqy]DIDN'T[/b:30mwooqy] include lunch... wait till you pay €150.00 to register your intent...basically proving you are who you say you are and are not marrying for a passport...despite the fact that they have your birth certs on file in the very same office!! Rip off Ireland....it's in the detail
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
€100 in Waterford City Friday 7.30 to 10 and Sat 10 to 4 including lunch
lux Posts: 6270
Maybe don't have a church wedding and save the money? I don't get how if this is a requirement for the church there is any point in complaining about it, its your choice to have the wedding in a church after all! No course required with a civil service, its €150 and that's it!
RoseDawson Posts: 1494
we paid €200 for ours too with accord in mayo, that did include lunch. V expensive really!! But needs must and all that!!
teapotty Posts: 2085
[quote="lux":ll5zdmhs]Maybe don't have a church wedding and save the money? I don't get how if this is a requirement for the church there is any point in complaining about it, its your choice to have the wedding in a church after all! No course required with a civil service, its €150 and that's it![/quote:ll5zdmhs] Just because you're religious and want to get married in a church doesn't mean you can't be peeved at the cost of some parts of that process. You're basically telling people they should stuff their beliefs to save the €200: that's not reasonable. I think people who are religious or want to marry in a church are happy enough to do the pre-marriage course but the price just seems a bit out of kilter at €150-200, especially for a non-profit organisation. Maybe something around €100 per couple would be a bit fairer.
[quote="teapotty":2nihc2ne][quote="lux":2nihc2ne]Maybe don't have a church wedding and save the money? I don't get how if this is a requirement for the church there is any point in complaining about it, its your choice to have the wedding in a church after all! No course required with a civil service, its €150 and that's it![/quote:2nihc2ne] You're basically telling people they should stuff their beliefs to save the €200: that's not reasonable. [/quote:2nihc2ne] I'm not, but if I wanted a religious service I know it involves extra costs and hassle so I would not moan about it. If you want a church wedding it generally involves more expense so if a couple has decided to go for that option and then complain about how much it costs, its not really a legitimate complaint. I'm having my reception in a restaurant and the bar closes at 12.30, thats it, no late licence allowed so my wedding will end pretty early. However that is the CHOICE I made so why would I complain about it. If I spent €2000 on a dress and decided to have a veil, entailing a cost of €200, I would have no right to complain because, like chosing to have a church wedding with all it entails, that is MY choice-no point in expecting sympathy from others because of the choices anyone makes of their own free will.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I agree with Lux to an extent. People are usually well aware that there is an extra cost to a church wedding. To me it seems pointless to complain. The church expects a donation for it's upkeep. There is fees for the course as, although it may be run by a voluntary organisation your fee goes towards funding other courses and counselling services they offer to people who couldn't otherwise afford it. It's a big part of the day and one of the cheapest parts of the day/marriage and yet one of the most important.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
to be fair to OP is not complaining about [u:x8033vpw]having to pay[/u:x8033vpw], she is trying to find the cheapest course- shopping around....can't see anything wrong with that??
I know, but I read the thread and a lot of the responses were complaining about having to pay for the course at all.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
think that there were only 2 girls who were complaining. The rest were just stating where they did it and how much it cost. Anyway- I don't think that it's entirely unreasonable to question/have a moan about why you have to do one even if you want to get married in a Church. It's not like anyone is saying that they won't do it- just that they don't particularly want to do it which I think is fair enough. We wanted to get married in the Church, had no interest in doing the course though but obviously realised that we had to do it. Didn't stop me having a moan about it :o0