Menu

2011 Baby Names List just published

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
Yay, the Central Statistics Office have just realised the data re baby names in 2011. Here's the link to the PDF: http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releas ... s_2011.pdf Most popular boys are the same as the past five years although order changed a little (number of babies registered included): Jack 840 James 796 Sean 755 Daniel 711 Conor 709 Top 5 girls are as follows Emily 596 Sophie 582 Emma 562 Grace 503 Lily 496 Happy reading...
Elizabeth Bennett Posts: 682
Our name is in one of the lists, oh well they will be in good company O:o) Funny cos I don't know anyone called the name we picked but we knew it was popular lately. Still going to go have it cos I think it's perfect.
I have to say I don't know any Emilys at all, but I do know a few of each of the other four. My friend just called her baby James - we thought it was unusual but obviously not at all. Lovely names, all of them.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Sorry started a thread, didn't realise this one was here! I like Jack and Emily but surprised Jack is still going as strong after all these years It says Michaela climbed in popularity, sad to think it's more than likely because of poor Michaela McAreavy. Tommy climbed too, i wonder if it's Fair City related! Sassypants i remember in another thread you were disppointed that Lily might be getting popular, looks like it is, top 5!
noc Posts: 1802
The name we've picked is not on the list at all! :o)ll Neither is our close second choice (which I still like but just not sure how well it goes with the surname). In fact only three of the nine names we had short-listed as possibilities are on the list. I'm starting to think we might have weird taste. Exquisite of course, but maybe a little weird! ;o) :o0
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="ciaraella":3hn2l1jf]Sassypants i remember in another thread you were disppointed that Lily might be getting popular, looks like it is, top 5![/quote:3hn2l1jf] Ha ha Ciaraella, you have a good memory missus! I was just coming on to say that we've totally ruled out Lily as it's number 5. I love the top names, they're all gorgeous and pretty but my name is fairly common and it was a pain in the behind in school. Just too many of us! So I think we're looking at names that aren't even in the top 50 now (not totally on purpose but top 10 I would be avoiding) Would any of you be like us and change your choices cos they're too popular/common? (I don't mean common as in "common as muck"!!)
Dub M Posts: 269
Yes Sassy it irks me a little to see a version of our top boy name near the top but we like a different version of it. I have an unusual-ish name (not weird but just not many) and I loved that I was the only one I knew. Most of my friends are Emmas, Jennifers, Sarahs etc. My OH on the other hand has such a common name for guys his age, his 2 best friends have the same name and he loves it, thinks its great for a boy to have a strong traditional name but he says I can call a girl minnie mouse if I want he doesnt mind but strict on a "mans" name...hmmmm we shall see.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
My grandad was jack and I always wanted to use it but I won't be now. I wouldn't like to use any of the most popular but I know a girl who picks the most obscure made up names so no one else has the same which is terrible too!
The top 5 names for both girl and boy are all lovely, but none are on our list. Our list is, in fact, my list because my husband is useless and won't indulge my more unusual (i.e. pretentious) tastes and so I'm keeping them to myself until at least the second trimester.
stephnyc Posts: 414
[quote="noc":wt3zld3a]In fact only three of the nine names we had short-listed as possibilities are on the list. I'm starting to think we might have weird taste. Exquisite of course, but maybe a little weird! ;o) :o0[/quote:wt3zld3a] I'm sooo jealous noc - you have 9 names agreed on a short list? I'm 33 weeks now and we dont even have 1 of each agreed.. with DD the last time we had one girls name and 2 boys names that were both compromises really. Luckily she was a girl & we were 100% happy with the name how do you all do it? We seem to have such different tastes!