280 max maternity benefit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sodbride Posts: 105
Im really really shocked right now. I just cant believe that the max you are allowed is 280 euro a week. I earn 500+ a week. I workl for a small company just barely staying afloat amid the carnage caused by the fianna failers so they cant bump me up the rest. Me and my partner have to pay 1000 each for mortgage a month, i have 320 on a car not to mention bloody pension and health payments. Can it be true that after all my years working Im only entitled to this 1120 a month? If I hadnt bothered and only get a min paid job Im would be entitled to 230. On the fecking dole I can get 204 + rent allowance + god knows what else! Is anyone else really fucking(sorry for my french, just soooooo angry) amazed at this.
MaltaMammy Posts: 853
I hear ya sodbride!! It's not very much but it's better than nothing at all. Plus there's the monthly childrens allowance and child benefit which you get so that'll bump it up a little bit but yes, we are supposed to live on that for the six months maternity leave - crazy isn't it!
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
Yes thats all we get not much but it helps. some countries dont pay anything at alll so i guess we should count ourselves lucky a :o( 2
zoesmama Posts: 2774
it's actually amazing what you can live on once you put your mind to it. before DS was born i earned nearly 900 net per week - going down to the max benefit then of i think 265 was a bit of a shock alright but it did prepare me in a way for our current circumstances where i am out of work.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
I know tell me about it, my company don't pay us either so its a measly amount to be getting considering the amount of tax Ive paid over the years!! O:| But as the others have said its better than nothing.....
Mrs.G Posts: 1828
I know... it really is hard to be a woman and try and balance work and family. 280 is going to be hard to survive on. Employers should have to keep paying you while you are on maternity leave, you shouldn't be penalised for having a baby. a bold statement I know, but I think it's only fair!
shobie Posts: 1437
I remember being very shocked too. But after dd arrived I was busy getting to know her and spending time adjusting to having a new arrival that alot of the expenses I would have normally incurred didnt exist anymore. When you are home looking after a lo, you arent as inclined to head into town shopping just to while away afew hours. I cooked alot more when I was on maternity leave and that saved money, no spending money on lunches, work clothes etc. It is a bit drop but it surprising how easily you can get used to it. It takes a bit of planning but its not as bad as some places, look at america...I think they only get 6 wks maternity leave and no benefits at all.
billygate Posts: 952
why should an employer pay for you when you are not there??? they are keeping the job open for you and paying for a temp
spanish mum Posts: 2468
[quote="GARFIELD + 1":32jzy4fn]Yes thats all we get not much but it helps. some countries dont pay anything at alll so i guess we should count ourselves lucky a :o( 2[/quote:32jzy4fn] Too true, Garfield+1......i would love €230 a week.....we don´t get any benefits at all here!!!!Not a cent!! :ooh
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
Yeah it is very tough to live on a fraction of your take home pay. Plus DH has now been put on short time. :o( I would have loved to be able to take even some of the 16 weeks unpaid time but now won't be able to. I would love if my employer was one of the one's who topped up the pay but I can completely understand why they don't. In fact if I were in their shoes I don't think I'd pay it either. It sucks for me not to be paid but hopefully it'll mean that I'll have a job to return to .