2nd Hand Tyres

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SunnyK Posts: 3834
Hey girls, Ok - just got car serviced and I need 4 new tyres apparently :o( Told them I couldn't afford it right now so will get it done after pay day or something. Now - anyone have any experience of getting the 2nd hand tyres that you see advertised along say the side of the Naas Road and that? Are they ok to get - or are you just buying more worn tyres and should really fork out for new ones. If the latter - how much is the norm for a new tyre.... it's for a Ford so not high end or anything like that. Yer man in the garage tells me I'm looking at 350 euro upwards :weep
blondiechick Posts: 1641
I've had second hand tyres put on my car. I think they came in around fifty quid each. Now, I can barely put petrol in my car...okay, that's an exaggeration, but I don't have the foggiest about cars....my DH looks after that side of things. But I know he'd never put something dodgy on my car for me and he knows a lot about cars. So I'd say get them done in a reputable place and you'll be fine!
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
If I were you, I would hold out till pay day and get new ones. Second hand ones - good as they might be, they will need to be replaced sooner than if you buy new ones so it will cost you money in the long run. You also need to make sure your tyres have the E mark on them so they conform to safety specifications. Upwards of 350e seems a lot for 4 tyres, that almost 90e per tyre! I got a new tyre for my 08 Seat Leon after a small blow out and it only cost me 60e. Average price for a tyre Ive seen in Galway is 60-80e. Definelty shop around before you consider getting a second hand one.
Kickasswife Posts: 4051
Good names are Goodyear, Hancock, can't think of others ATM :wv
Wrong answer girls, wrong answer!! :o0 I just haven't got that kinda money right now - but like you say I will definitely shop around. Gone are the days I put the car in and when they call me back I just said "ok sure go ahead and do what needs to be done". They've said the front 2 are below the legal limit and the back 2 are just at the limit - I only got the flipping thing NCT'd at the end of Sept and it flew through so I don't know how they can be that bad but as I am clueless with cars I guess I just have to take their word for it. I better get saving so!
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I have said it before and I will say it again..... The tyre is the only thing that keeps you on the road, end of story, no competition, you put the best you can on your car. Part worn tyres however are better than bald tyres. There is a place in Walkinstown (Auto Depot) which is meant to supply good quality part worn tyres. 0857061487 / 0857078570 Also try here:
[quote="mrs bmw":3ofgnnu6]I have said it before and I will say it again..... The tyre is the only thing that keeps you on the road, end of story, no competition, you put the best you can on your car. Part worn tyres however are better than bald tyres. There is a place in Walkinstown (Auto Depot) which is meant to supply good quality part worn tyres. 0857061487 / 0857078570 Also try here: [/quote:3ofgnnu6] Thanks missus -always there to help me with the car queries! :thnk Decision made - I'll get the 2 really bad ones done straight away and the others in a few weeks.... bye bye any nice new clothes for Chrimbo :weep
ott Posts: 3920
I have bought partworn tyres before. If you go to a reputable place, and you can trust that when they say it's 85% or whatever, that it's true, I say go for it. I find AutoDepot in Cookstown Industrial Estate excellent. I was looking for a tyre for our Smart one day, Advance quoted me €120 for a new tyre, AutoDepot had an 85% threaddepth for €37, supplied and fitted. They're really nice and helpful there too. I got a blowout in our TT another day (day of the NCT as it happens :duh:) and went to them for a partworn, excellent value again compared to new (€55 supplied and fitted).
workingmom Posts: 3429
My dad has a tyre depot, and he will not stock second hand tyres, you don't know anything about them, and he just says they are too risky. Dad stocks remoulds now, as he found, people just couldn't afford new. Make sure that any tyres have the "E" mark on them, or they won't pass an NCT either. HTH.
gopro Posts: 1801
what part of the country are u in