3 bedrooms, 2 children?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chy Posts: 61
Just looking for some opinions on what other people with 3 bedrooms and 2 babies do? DD was in a moses basket in our room until 4 months, when she wouldn't fit in it anymore, so we moved her to a cot bed in her room where she's been happy for nearly 2 years now. So I'm presuming approximately the same timelines for the next one, due in 6 weeks. So could the new baby share with the two year old after a few months or do I have to bite the bullet and lose the guest/junk room? (We can't fit a cot in our room so having new baby stay in our room longer is not an option)
Perci Posts: 3847
We lost the guest bedroom and got a sofabed for the living room. We moved them in to the same room when number 3 came along.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
There is no reason why the baby and your 2 year old couldn't share. We have 5 bedrooms (although only 3 are upstairs), but DS1 and DS2 have shared a room since DS2 was 4 months old. DS1 was never a great sleeper and I was a little bit worried about it to begin with, but having his brother in with him seemed to really help settle him. They certainly never woke each other and in the mornings would chat and play for a wee while before getting up. It's really up to you whether you lose your guest room or not. If you had a boy this time that might sway your decision too as they would need separate rooms at some stage anyway, but still no reason why they couldn't share now.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
I say definitely go for it. We put my son and daughter in the same room with over 3 years between them, and while she is not the best of sleepers sometimes, it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He absolutely loves her there and she loves being so close to him as well. They're following each other around all day as it is (thankfully he's very eager sharing his space and toys!), so having them in the same room appears to be a must. When they're older if they want to seperate it's up to them, but right now they're really close and love it that way. It really depends on the baby and the relationship between the baby and toddler. I say there is no reason you can't give it a try. Worst case scenario, you can always move the baby into the spare room later.