40 weeks - baby in posterior postion???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

honey 2 Posts: 244
Hi girls, Just looking for some advice. Had consultant apt this eve and he says that baby is in posterior postion ( meaning : directed down but face looking out instead of faced -in). He says this is reason why head is not engaging for me (am 40 weeks plus 4 days now) Anyone got any advice for me?? Is this serious I've another apt with him next tuesday if nothing happens in meantime. He was reluctant to set inductiondate today as he said it would more than likely end in a section for me Any advice appreciated *)
sunnyside Posts: 3164
No idea Honey2 but just wanted to say I'm sure your consultant will know what's best and get you sorted. best of luck :wv
Dootsay Posts: 958
Hi Honey I have two friends who had babies in this position at their time of labour, one of them had a natural delivery, and the other friend had a section. But I'm sure your consultant knows best, the natural delivery might be more difficult with your babs in that position though, really not sure. But best of luck with it all though *)
honey 2 Posts: 244
Thanks for the replies girls. Funny that you replied sunnyside - read last night that babies in this position are refferred to as " sunny side up"! Only thing i'm worried about is that if its going to end in a section - would prefer to just know the date and get it over with! Wishful thinking i suppose!
sunnyside Posts: 3164
:o0 I was born upside down myself so I must have a natural interest in these type of posts!
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Hi.. I think I remember reading that a natural delivery is more difficult when the baby is in the position cos the baby's head is againist your pelvic bone or something like that, so that is why it can end in a section. You'd never know by next week babs might have done a full turn!!
ms jolie Posts: 166
Hi Honey 2 This article might be of some help....http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/l ... orbirth/#8 Good luck!
TracyD Posts: 750
The good news is that 80% of babies that start off posterior in labour turn during labour.....being upright and using a birth ball will be a big help to you. The pelvis opens when you're upright so the tiniest bit of extra room can make all the difference. Avoid having your waters released artificially - the fluid makes it easier for babs to rotate. Hope things go well for you ! Tracy
McMummy Posts: 1041
My baby was in this position pre labour I spent most of my actual labour on the birthing ball to move the baby round. In the end he didn’t turn and was born in this position it’s supposed to be a more painful birth but not having given birth before I don’t know. I managed to cope without any pain relief other than gas and air and my labour was only 3 ¾ hours long so not to bad at all in my opinion. PM me if you need more details or have any other questions
lambnose Posts: 915
Hi Honey2, I am just back from my midwife appointment today and my baby is in this position as well. It is also called the 'back to back' postition. I asked her what it meant and she said it can mean a long and difficult labour. >:o( Did your consultant give you some exercises to do? Maybe he decided not to as you are almost due to give birth. Anyway I was advised to get down on all fours and stretch like a cat every day. Also just rock over and back when you are on all fours. If I was going to have to have a section I would prefer to know in advance as well like you. Let us know how you get on with it and can't wait to read your birth story for all the tips!! :wv