48oz a day, is this a lot??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BusyDee Posts: 8527
The last 2 days ds has taken 6 x 8oz bottles = 48oz :eek This seems like a lot to me, I'm wondering is it a growth spurt (he's almost 4 mths) or am I going to have to wean him soon? He would have been taking 5 bottles before this but he might not drink all of them so taking approx 30-35oz but the last few days he is draining every drop out of them. I don't know why but I'm not mad about using the hungry formula, he's on the sma staydown which is pretty heavy anyway. He's a very tall baby but fairly slim, he has been in 6-9 mth clothes since he was 3 months old! And he doesn't have a whole pile of room in the feet of the babygros :eek I have a feeling I will have to wean him soon, anyone's lo the same?
gopro Posts: 1801
they say 40oz is max they should be taking have you thought about weaning at 4 months
ructions Posts: 2689
z
barneyrubble Posts: 252
It could be a growth spurt so I'd hold off changing for a few days in case he reduce again. Would he take more than the 8oz if offered? My DS used to take 5 x9oz bottles. I never knew there was a max for them?! He slept through so if he didn't he'd have had a 6th bottle too. But like you he was on the staydown, when he moved onto it around 6 weeks he dropped his oz as its so thick but he moved up again within a few weeks or so. I wonder would the hungry baby formula be that much more satisifing then the staydown to justify the change? Esp if it's upset their reflux? We weaned him just over the 4mths/17 weeks
Emme Posts: 4735
My lad used to take 8 9oz bottles. It was constant feeding! He slept at night back then though! That was on hungry baby formula which we put him on at 6 weeks. I weaned him at 4 months and he took very slowly to the whole thing.
Twirl Posts: 5598
BusyDee, my ds would drink 50oz some day, my motto is if they are hungry feed them. I also spoke to the paedriatrician and they told me if a baby is hungry then just feed them. If they dont want it they will spit it back up and no harm is done anyway. The would never be worried ( their words ) about a baby spitting up his/her formula and once there is wet nappies then all is ok. I have used that motto for my ds, even to this day i just feed him when he wants.
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
When my lo started to take that much at 4 months the health visitor told me to switch her to hungry baby formula and it all worked out great, she clearly needed it. Prior to switching she would have maybe woken up once during the night every few nights and from we switched to hungry baby she slept through every night. She was always up in the very top ranges for weight and height and I didn't need to wean her early - waited to 6 months.
mamajen Posts: 2263
DD would have drank that amount and was putting on weight fast!! I switched her to hungry baby milk at about 6/7 weeks. She's now 8.5 months old and in 12-18 month clothes (they are huge on her though lol)
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Thanks everyone, [quote="barneyrubble":asv4yyas] I wonder would the hungry baby formula be that much more satisifing then the staydown to justify the change? Esp if it's upset their reflux? [/quote:asv4yyas] That's what I'd be worried about too, I went through 3 or 4 formulas when he was about 3/4 weeks old and now that we found one that suits I'm very reluctant to change again, also I'm nearly sure I compared them and this one - the staydown had the same if not slightly more calories and protein than the hungry one. Anyway I actually had him for his 3 mth check up (a month late!) this morning and the phn was saying I should think of weaning him soon if he keeps up the 6 bottles. He is satisfied after having the 8oz so I haven't offered him anymore. He has one (roughly) at 6am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm & 9pm and then sleeps through to 6am, he does occasionally go till 7/8am, if he has a bottle at 6am he will go back to sleep till 9am. I was thinking a few weeks ago that we would probably wean him before the 6mts, I wouldn't be against it but I'll see if I can hold out till 20 weeks.
Twirl Posts: 5598
Busy Dee, your LO may just want this for a little while if hes going through a growth spurt. I definitely wouldnt be into changing formula unless he became unsettled and in pain but you said yourself it suits him so i would stick with it. I made a note for the PHN and they couldnt believe how much my ds drank but thats what he needed for a few days. I also held off feeding too. Go with your gut feeling even if its hard to find ( i know mine used to be ). Everyone is full of advise but its not their child its yours.