5 stone diamond ring advice

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Woodstock Posts: 1565
Long time since I posted in Old Faithful..! Okay, here it goes.. I know there are a lot of wollies here that are diamonds experts so turning to you for advice. DH and I are looking to buy an eternity ring, specifically a 5 stone ring. I went to a number of jewellers but so far I have only seen 1 ring whose mounting matches the one of my engagement ring. This ring is 18k white gold, claw setting with 5 x 0.20ct diamonds, round cut, VS clarity (dunno if VS1 or VS2) and G colour. I've been quoted 3350 for this ring. This jeweller is in Blanch S.C., Dublin. I'm just wondering how much should I expect to pay for something like this.. is it a bit on the high side or are these the prices around these days? (It's been a while since we went shopping for diamonds!). We're planning on going back to the jeweller where we bought our engagement and wedding ring (Brereton's in O'Connell St. Dublin) but just want to do a bit of research first to get an idea of the current prices.. I know Brereton were great when we bought from them, we got my e-ring made with them and got a lovely D color stone for my solitaire and we've been very happy with their service. Ideally I'd like something a little bigger than .20 iykwim (and perhaps higher quality) but don't want to break the bank either!! Any feedback on Brereton's or Appleby's for eternity rings? Any other place you'd reccommend? (Travelling to Antwerp or the likes is out of the question as we have a little DS! Also don't really want to buy online, would rather try the ring on in the shop) Many thanks in advance :thnk
w.w.wonder Posts: 297
I can't recommend the guys is Irish Rubies highly enough. They did a fantastic job on my wedding band and also the best price. I told them exactly what I wanted and we went through a lot of rings so we all knew we were on the same page. The shape of this ring, the setting of this ring etc etc. They made up the ring in a few days but said that I would not have to pay if I didn't like what I saw. What they made was exactly what I had seen in my head. They were brilliant. I would have paid anything they had asked but the final price was so much better than anything else we had been quoted.
w.w.wonder Posts: 297
sorry meant to add http://irishrubies.ie/ on Marlbourgh Street Dublin 1
MrsAH Posts: 3715
[quote="w.w.wonder":1up5m5lp]I can't recommend the guys is Irish Rubies highly enough. They did a fantastic job on my wedding band and also the best price. I told them exactly what I wanted and we went through a lot of rings so we all knew we were on the same page. The shape of this ring, the setting of this ring etc etc. They made up the ring in a few days but said that I would not have to pay if I didn't like what I saw. What they made was exactly what I had seen in my head. They were brilliant. I would have paid anything they had asked but the final price was so much better than anything else we had been quoted.[/quote:1up5m5lp] +1 I got my engagement ring made here, and my sister too. Shay orders your diamonds direct and keeps you informed every step of the way. I'll be going to get my wedding band made with him soon. Edited to say, both of ours came with GIA certs, and both our stones are of extremely high grading. The money we saved going to Shay was incredible for the stones that we got.
bubblybride2010 Posts: 1490
i think the following link is a great website and great for info, it may guide u regarding prices for different sizes etc, We plan on getting our wedding rings here and the prices are great IMO http://www.purelydiamonds.co.uk/purelyd ... =33&pos=21 Hope this helps :thnk
Kaycee Posts: 2107
i 2nd blue nile, if you didn't like it you could always send it back much better value!
julybride 2010 Posts: 418
Hi Woodstock, I know you said going to Antwerp was out of the question but my advise to you would be not to rule it out. We went to a guy called Phillipe Harold and cannot recommend him highly enough. You can deal with him through email and he will email you alot of photos of what you are looking for. We did this first with him before we decided to go to him. You could always bring your son with you for a day or 2. If its not possible for you to travel to him he will fed Ex your ring to you. I am trilled we got the ring from him and i love it in every way. It has also being valued for twice as much as we paid for it. Hope this helps you in some way. Best of luck with your search. :wv
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I think the price might be ok, maybe a little high though? Five .20 carat stones is one carat in total, slightly included, G stone on white gold....hmmmm. My engagement ring is 1.07 carat, flawless, E stone on white gold and it was 2,900 in an antique jewellers on Grafton Street. So this ring your considering would be in and around the same price but not the very best quality stone, considering your own engagement ring is a D stone? Maybe have another look around, if you have 3,000 to spend I'm sure you could get a really perfect ring, maybe even the same quality as your E ring? Best of luck! That probably wasn't much help, sorry!
whoop Posts: 1310
I would have a look elsewhere also, that does seem expensive. My e ring has seven 0.5ct stones so it's a total of 3.5 carats and it didn't cost as much as what you were quoted. The metal is 18ct white gold. I would recommend trying jewellers in Belfast - gardiner brothers.
Woodstock Posts: 1565
Thanks all for your replies. whoop - wow can't believe what a great value that was to buy up North! Might check that out. Will pop into Irish Rubies at the weekend, any of you know if I need to book an appt or can I just walk in? I had a look on BlueNile but didn't see anything I liked, even make your own 5 stone ring only had 1 setting to choose from.. not a lot of choice! Smileykaz - yeah, the right sounds overprized considering that yours has much higher quality stones and slightly bigger too and cost less that what I have been quoted! julybride 2010 - I actually exchanged a number of emails with Philippe years and years ago when we were looking for an engagement ring but even at the time going to Antwerp wasn't really an option. (I would have been on that plane in a heartbeat if you ask me :o0 but my H2B at the time (DH now) didn't really want to travel for it!) I didn't realize Philippe could post the ring out to you. I suppose i'd need to know exactly what I want (down to every detail, width of band etc) before asking him to make it. I guess if I found here something I like but it's not within budget I could always ask Philippe if he could make it... ..hmm a lot of food for thought! I already pity my DH who will have to listen to all these options this evening when I come home! Thx again :thnk