5lb 13 at 34 week scan? does this mean a Sumo Baby? ;)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mamabrod Posts: 830
Girls had 34 week scan today and baby is measuring 5lb 13 already! :eek Is that very big for this stage? Its our first baby so I dont have much of an idea! The girl doing scan wasnt very friendly, just 'yes' and 'no' answers so I didnt ask her too much!
punkybrewster Posts: 290
I always take these measurements with a pinch of salt! My baby weighed about 5 lbs 2 oz at 35 weeks, so slightly lighter, but there is a significant margin of error with the measurements so I wouldn't worry! They say baby gains about half a pound a week from here on in, so in 6 weeks that would suggest about another 3 pounds giving you a 9 pound baby, which is not huge these days!
mamabrod Posts: 830
[quote="punkybrewster":b9j0moo1]I always take these measurements with a pinch of salt! My baby weighed about 5 lbs 2 oz at 35 weeks, so slightly lighter, but there is a significant margin of error with the measurements so I wouldn't worry! They say baby gains about half a pound a week from here on in, so in 6 weeks that would suggest about another 3 pounds giving you a 9 pound baby, which is not huge these days![/quote:b9j0moo1] Thanks punkybrewter O-O once the baby is healthy I am happy but I am just quite small in frame and am nervous about delivering a huge baby!!!
mamalicious Posts: 255
Agree with Punkybrewster, take the measurements with a pinch of salt. There are not exact and can be out. Don't be worrying - remember - my baby is the right size for my body. :wv
jen2 Posts: 3106
I'd say you will have an 8 1/2 lb baby. Won't be too big. That's a great size. But those measurements can be way off. Dd2 was measuring 5 lbs at 30 wks she was born just over 4 wks later at 6lbs
dreamer Posts: 3941
At my 34 week scan I was given the same weight estimate of about 5lbs 14oz. Sonographer said it was an average size however when I saw the consultant she said baby would be at least 8lbs 7oz IF it continued to grow at same rate! Now I am pretty sure baby has as I am much bigger than I was with DD who only weighed 6lbs 10oz! Am preparing myself for at least an 8lb! Back in on Friday so hopefully will get a mini-scan and see how baby is! Wishing I go in to labour every night!!!
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
They say those estimates can be out by a lb either way so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
Lizzy1 Posts: 4128
At my 34 wk scan they said DS was 5lb 1oz, he was 6lb 6oz born and he was 11 days over-due :ooh :ooh I wouldn't worry about it TBH
ontheway Posts: 432
Def dont worry too much bout the size of the baby from the scans, I had a scan at 37.5 weeks and they said baby was 8lb 10oz he was born at 40+4 and weighed 8lb 10oz!!! One doc I saw told me that they can be out by 20% when they are done late in preg because it is harder to get the accurate measurements because of baby position and size less room etc.
Luka Posts: 1904
Don't worry, scans can't be 100% accurate. With my DS, at my 35 weeks scan he was 5 lbs. At 39 weeks he was 5 lbs 8 ozs! AM WRONG!!! he was born 2 days later & was 7 lbs 6 ozs! Scans are only a guide.