6 weeks, 10lbs?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how i'd succeed at this. I've 6 weeks and I want to lose about 10lbs, I want to tone up a lot, especially my tummy. I'm 9st 10lb at the moment and my goal is to run 5k three times a week and do strength/toning on the two days in between. also does anyone have any exercises for building arm strength? My upper body s really weak, although I dont want to get all muscley!
StarLilly Posts: 684
I'd recommend toning 3 times a week if you only have 6 weeks to go! Doesn't have to take long, and you do need days of rest between toning but twice a week wouldn't be enough for results in only 6 weeks. For arms I do tricep dips, as press-ups make your bicep bigger (top of arm) while toning your triceps tightens the upper arm. You can't really lose weight specifically on an area (stomach would also be my bad area) if you have a smartphone the free Davina McCall app has a good few exercises targeting the stomach
StarLilly Posts: 684
And actually, I'd recommend you measure yourself in inches as you are more likely to see results that way than on the scales. Since April 1st I've only lost 2.5 pounds but I've lost an over an inch on my stomach which has made more of a difference to how I feel I look!
Thanks for the replies ladies, i'll throw in a few press ups every day so, see how I get on! Ill do an inch measurement too (i think I'm slightly afraid to!) Would love to have my nice flat tum back again. Wish we luck! Any other tips are welcome!
Lolls121 Posts: 16
I just happened to start going to a local fitness class in March and its brilliant (and only a fiver!). Its not a chain unfortunately so I can't recommend you attend it as its bespoke to my local area but the instructor constantly tells us running is for endurance not for losing weight. If you have to run he says go really fast then stop, then repeat. In the class we do a lot of jumping (burpies, running on spot and jumping) etc and things with weights. I would suggest to get a kettlebell and if you have an iphone/ipad do a beginners kettlebell work out on you tube. Its only 30 mins! Doing this 3 times a week and cutting out cr*p but still eating constantly (the good stuff) I lost 7 lbs in a week! And I would have been at a similiar starting weight. Great for toning and toned muscles burn body fat! You can get kettlebells in argos or lifestyle sports-not too expensive and cheaper than the gym by far! Our trainer does constantly say tho you have to keep changing what you do for results otherwise your body gets used to it.
Thanks for the advice lolls121. I want to keep the 5k as regardless of weight loss, I feel great for doing it. I'm watching what I eat (using my fitness pal app). Also with the running I'm doing push ups, sit ups, bike sit ups, back extensions and plank. On the days between running I'm cycling and doing uphill brisk walking. Burning on average 3-400 calories per workout- I hope its enough!
kpbride Posts: 5
Hi ladies, Avoid carbohydrates as much as possible particularly bad carbs - white bread, white pasta, sugary foods. These give you instant energy and increases your sugar level in your body. After about an hour or so these levels will start to drop giving you a craving for a food fix. Also if you don't burn off the carbs you ate this will turn to fat and stored for energy. If you're eating carbs have them before midday and have complex carbs such as whole grain bread, porridge, brown rice. Eat a high protein low saturated fat diet. Eat plenty of good days, these are filling and good for you. Protein will fill you up and keep your sugar levels steady as they don't raise your sugar levels so you'll feel full and won't have as many cravings. Eat lots of veg and salad, in particular green leafy veg. Have fruit, not too much though as these contain sugars also. If you're having a banana, have it first thing in the morning do you can work it off throughout the day. Berries are the best - blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc. they contain less sugar and are antioxidants so you can fill up on these. Eat every 2-3 hours, this will keep your metabolism going. If working out, try do it first thing in the morning before eating therefore you're using your stored fat for your energy to workout. Drink minimum 2 litres if water per day and drink green tea also. Have your three main meals: Breakfast: complex carbs, protein rich food. Snack: nuts ( no peanuts) fruit, seeds Lunch: lean protein : chicken, fish, red meat with lots if salad and veg. Make a soup if you want. Snack Dinner: roasted veg, salad, lean meat protein or poultry. Hope this helps girls!! Cutting out carbs is hard the first couple of days but once you get through that you won't feel hungry and will feel great!! You'll lose weight easily by cutting out carbs. Weight loss is 80% duet, 20% exercise. Good luck!!
Lolls121 Posts: 16
Wow Girl from Mars that sounds fantastic and go you! :) Yes running is great to clear the mind, I find I have so little time to do it tho! Thanks kpbride for advice too. I was getting on great and I think in part because people were commenting that I had lost weight I feel like I am spirally back to my old ways-eating unhealthily, so busy with wedding stuff and work finding it hard to get my class in.... Any tips to stay motivated?!
For me, the motivation took a while to come, in the end it was simply an upcoming holiday and the fact that I'm sick of feeling like crap. I used to be happy with my body and could wear anything, then I put on a few and became so critical of myself. I just decidedit was no llonger worth feeling so bad, I had the power to change it so it was time to get up off my ass and do something about it.