6 weeks 5 days, too early to see foetal pole?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Just need some advice. Went for an early scan this morning. According to my dates I am 6 weeks 5 days. Midwife could see the pregnany sack & pregnancy yoke but not foetal pole. Does anyone know would this be normal? Midwife said it is early days & she has scheduled me to come back in 2 weeks.... Fingers crossed Ill see my little bean then & heartbeat. I'm very nervous as I had a miscarriage before my DS
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
I think it's important to realise that at such an early stage, a week is a really long time and differences may vary greatly. I had scan at 5+4 and they saw sac, yolk and I heard her mention the word pole. At 6+6 , had another scan and heartbeat was there. I'm sure you are very anxious due to previous miscarriage. But every pregnancy is different, and just because the pole is not there now, doesn't mean it won't be on next scan. It's easy to say don't worry till next scan. Would you get another scan next week? It might give you peace of mind.
Thanks PregnantDancer. I think I might just wait now for the 2 week scan. She seemed quite positive amyway & it was actually the same girl that scanned me when I had the mis & her reaction/attitude was very different today than it was then. That time I just knew by her reaction straight away that I had miscarried whereas today she was very positive & said it's all progressing normally for this stage that she can see the pregnancy sac and yoke & that's all good. Same as what you said she mentioned that every pregnancy is different. I will sit tight until the 26th & keep everything crossed!
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I had a scan at 5+4 because I had terrible sickness and they suspected an ectopic, but turned out everything was ok. All they mentioned at that scan was that the yolk sac was there and everything appeared normal for that stage. They did schedule me for another scan at 9 weeks to make sure everything was ok and it was.
Thanks Dancing Queen, after reading up a bit online I'm feeling much more confident now about it. I read that seeing the yoke sac is a really good sign as this is what give the nutrition to the baby until the placenta forms so everything seems normal for my stage of pregnancy :o)ll