6 weeks scan..no heartbeat..help.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emsey Posts: 76
hi just had a scan today at 6 weeks and theyre was no heartbeat..just a sac so they told me to come back in 2 weeks..i am very sure of my dates but thought 6 weeks you would get a heartbeat..was wondering if anyone else has had same and gone on to have a baby..am v frightened.
sunnyside Posts: 3164
emsey you sound very stressed which is understandable. I think 6 weeks is the absolute earliest you can get a heartbeat so it might just take a few days/ week more. Maybe they would see you a little sooner than 2 weeks if it would put your mind at ease although they probably want to wait that long so they can get a definite answer. Its horrible to have to wait but fingers crossed it will be good news and the heartbeat will be there on your next scan. take care.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Emsey, I totally understand that you must be in an awful heap, but your main aim now is to get through the next two weeks. I had an early scan at 7 weeks 4 days but I had gone to the doc with bleeding at 4 weeks and they literally cant see anything that early so waited till 7 weeks. Sounds like you.... you'll be 8 weeks and I was 7 w 4 d. Hope all goes well for you. :thnk
mac tavish Posts: 296
hi emsey, Was it an internal scan you had? I had a scan at 7 weeks 1 day and they could find nothing the regular way and had to go internal, then there was the tiniest little thing on the screen with a little flicker going on. The doctor told me they usually find a heartbeat around 7 - 8 weeks. Try not to worry too much lots of women on here have had the same experience as you and go back in a week and see a flicker. Just to also let you know i had a MC at around 6 weeks before this pregnancy and they barely found a sac at all so dont worry too much.
Gidz Posts: 290
Hi Emsey Ah dont stress out pet, i didnt get 2 hear a heartbeat till 9wks. i was beside myself with worry nd tears when they couldnt get one at 7 wks. You'll be in tears when you hear it at nxt visit! You'll wanna hear it again and again and again! Everything will be ok! :xox :wv
maybbaby Posts: 24
Hi Just to let you know that my doctor told me that it can be hard to get a heartbeat very early on in a scan. Try and relax I know it is so hard, but strssing out will do you or baby no good I know that at 12 weeks the doctor can sometimes not get one with the regular stethoscope thing they use. Best of luck and I Hope all works out OK.
Emsey Posts: 76
awh thanks a million girls im trying not to freak out but you just read so much about them being able to get a heartbeat at 6 weeks..im just oping everything will be ok...its such reassurance to hear that some people dont get one until 7 or 8 so thank god..its the most awful feeling in the world having to just sit tight and wait..i still have all my preg symptoms so at least thats something..thanks girls xx
maisedon Posts: 1394
Emsey, when I found out I was pregnant I asked was there any chance that I could have an early scan. They told me that I had to wait until 8 weeks because they wouldn't be able to detect a heartbeat before that. I had my scan at 7wks 6 days and I saw my little ones heartbeat :lvs Please try to stop worrying - chances are you'll see it at your next scan. Best of luck!!! :xxx
novice1 Posts: 276
Hi Emsey, Had to reply as I know exactly how worrying it is. I had bleeding at 5wk 4days and all the scan showed was a sac but nothing in it. I went back after the 2 weeks and thankfully they found the heart beat. They say it is very hard to get the heartbeat until 7wks. Best of luck.
HoneyBee1973 Posts: 795
Hi Emsey, I booked a private viability scan ( I'd had an earlier m/c and wanted to get pregnancy confirmed early). I wanted to go in at 7 weeks but they wouldnt take me until 8 weeks or after because they said they may not be able to pick up a heartbeat yet. I know it feels like the longest wait of your life, so hang in there. I really hope that all goes well and you get to see that little flicker on the screen at your next scan. Thinking of you. :lvs