Menu

80s theme - invites?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rogue User Posts: 6101
Hi there, We just designed our invites - they are just postcards with a photo of our feet in converse runners, up on the coffee table with some wine and our cat. We are having a "Children of the 80s" theme as both myself and OH were born in the early 80s. So...my query is - how do I let guests know the theme of our wedding. Do I write it on the invites - Dear Mr Smith, you are invited you our Children of the 80s themed wedding or something like that. Or are they just supposed to guess for them selves. The converse on the front are our subtle nod to the 80s. But at the wedding their will be (hopefully) loads of 80s memorabilia, 80s disco, retro sweets etc to let our theme be known to the guests. We are not expecting guests to dress up or anything just wanna give them a taste of our wedding IYKWIM. Any ideas, thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated! Even the bad stuff please! :thnk
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Love this idea first of all! But I wouldn't write that it was an 80s themed wedding on the invite, unless you wanted them to dress up in the 80s style, as I think a lot of people will assume they will have to dress up if you know what I mean. I love the idea of your theme- not something I've ever seen before. Are you going to do a really 80s font on the invites?
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
Cool idea O-O Hmm, if I got that invite, I think I'd probably guess the theme but again, I think if you mention anywhere that it's 80s themed I'd probably wonder if I was supposed to get dressed up. I guess just word of mouth - let people know when you're chatting to them and with all the stuff planned, they'll definitely realise on the day! Are you doing save the dates? Cos if so, they might be more informal and you could have on the front "Going back to the 80s" or something like that on the front, then on the back or whatever, you say, keep xxx free and in brackets (fancy dress is not required!) - IF you want to be clear about the theme but let them know they don't have to dress up!
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
No,I don't think there's any need to tell people what the theme is. If I got an invitation specifically mentioning a theme I'd immediately think that I'd have to dress up like that, and I'd start to worry about it! When people get there and see the retro sweets and the music and all of that, they'll get what it is. It'll be like a little surprise to them as the day goes on like? More and more little touches adding up and they'll eventually cop what's going on and think it's really cool!
Thanks girls - as usual you make so much sense! I'll just leave them as they are. Angel Doodle - What would an 80s font be? Didn't even think of that.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
Something like on the old albums and top of the pops? Something like this [img:2emzzhq7]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7e3_2UKY5ttGFMyBAw7DoBoXv3T0_wzXUKfCaIWsfwxeq7IqX[/img:2emzzhq7] [img:2emzzhq7]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHAVcLy56TB9AIroLRJNHncjQiPVI_Cp1_D16_uMxThmZdzKuuEw[/img:2emzzhq7] Or is that too much? I think it would be cool
No! I love it, thanks for the inspiration. Love the TOTP one. I hope vista it in their font options!
madhairday Posts: 1116
from the teenager of the 80's to the baby of the 80's GLAM ROCK RULE'S. love the idea :o)ll :o)ll
Bellisima Posts: 3583
Yep Id also wonder if I was expected to dress up if you wrote that on the invitations. I would agree with other posters who say that people will realise it when they get to the wedding. Are you looking for an 80s DJ or do you have someone?
MrsWhittle2be Posts: 113
Love it :) There's so much you could do with an 80's theme.....from naming tables after No.1 songs, Artists etc. I'd love to turn up to a wedding not knowing fully about the theme and being suprised on the day. The picture on the invites is a suttle way of letting your guests assume but at the same time not leaving them in the unknown whether they must dress for the themed wedding. Ooooh imagine the pictures!!