9 wks - I am on antiobiotics :o(

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

StylishB Posts: 143
Hi there, Am 9 wks pregnant and am on antibiotics for a Urinary Tract Infection (so they think it is-sample at the lab at the mo). The name of the antibiotic is VELOSEF and the doctor said it is fine to take - am a wee bit worried about it .... Has anyone heard of this one or taken antibiotics in their first trimester ?????
littledolly Posts: 393
StylishB I am 30 weeks now and am on my 3rd (I think) course of anti-biotics. I had an infected tooth early on, then 2 urine infections. As long as your GP, or whoever prescribed them, knows you are pregnant, then it is fine to take anti-biotics. Some people are more prone to infections when pregnant anyway, and they always like to get them treated just in case (esp protein infections in the urine, which is what I have now, as they can cause premature labour), so you will be fine. Judging by the way my baby is bobbing about at the minute, they aren't doing it any harm!
madmam Posts: 1294
Me too, I have taken one course so far, and I think I have another UTI, so I'll be popping those pills again! I was about 9 weeks the first time too, and babas fine, so try not to worry. :wv
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I was given them to for UTI when I went to GP to confirm pregnancy.
pattie Posts: 2379
I've been using an antibiotic lotion since about 10 weeks for acne, the GP said it's perfectly safe, googled it and found the same info, also is listed as safe in an american pregnancy book so I'm happy with that. There's a small list of pregnancy-safe antibiotics and your GP would definitely only prescribe one of those.