A bit worrisome!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
Ok so i was leaving a carpark today and I was queing to pay for my parking ticket, there were an elderly couple at the machine who couldnt read how much they owed on the screen, and couldnt figure out how on earth to pay for their ticket, neither of them!!! after a few minutes and with the help of another person they eventually paid for the ticket and walked on... in the wrong direction only to return 2 mins later and go in the direction of their car . Next thing the man in front of me (a very nice man) hands me his card and says 'can ya help me out love i cant see too well'... now of course I put the ticket in for him and he held out a pile of coins while i picked what was needed out of it and paid for it... now here's what gets me, how on earth is this man and the couple before him meant to drive!!!!! im not heartless and have sooo much respect for the elderly but it was unbelievable.... they COULD NOT SEE A THING... I just think its madness.
NittyGritty Posts: 1605
Maybe he left his driving specs in the car? I've a vision of Mr Magoo here :o0
mommylicious Posts: 836
Oh gosh, don't know what to say. I just feel so sorry for them. But you're right, unfortunatly we don't get the statistics on accidents caused by the elderly, or if there is any, there should be more awareness about it.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
jeez thats a bit scary alright!! people should really have to get their eyes tested every time they apply for a new licence!
Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
Yeh like i think its great to be driving and able bodied for so long now dont get me wrong but i couldnt believe it... one person in the que actually said 'now you just have to find your car'... the old man didnt hear that or anything but everyone was shocked.
Daff Posts: 11644
Old people driving really worries me - the amount of dithery old people you see causing near accidents all the time. I really do everyone should have to do a retake test every say 5 years or so. Just cause you pass a driving test doesn't mean that you'll still be a good driver 30, 40 even 50 years later O:|
t2be2012 Posts: 718
oh stop im killin myself laughin here !!!! :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: It is mad though how in ireland once you pass your test thats it like you never have to do it again!! i did think that once you hit a certain age you had to do eye test every couple of years i remember a granuncle havin to do them!!!!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
[quote="daffodil mummy ":2kcsw2gm]Old people driving really worries me - the amount of dithery old people you see causing near accidents all the time. I really do everyone should have to do a retake test every say 5 years or so. Just cause you pass a driving test doesn't mean that you'll still be a good driver 30, 40 even 50 years later O:|[/quote:2kcsw2gm] Totally agree I am always saying whats the point of NCT'ing cars, I think its the drivers that should be tested! I would HATE the thought of having to do the test again but I think it would go a LONG way to help road safety
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
I don't know much about glasses, but don't most people need reading glasses when they get older? In other words they can't see stuff that's close to them (including coins or their parking ticket), but they don't need these glasses to drive because they can see distance OK?
MrsAC Posts: 1190
I'm laughing at this coz its so true but i have to say that i wear glasses fairly blind in one eye but i dn't need my glasses for driving if anything i find it quite distracting wearn them when i'm driving. they wer talking about this on ireland AM this morn