A Day in London on my own...suggestions?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

abbeylane Posts: 534
Iwill be visiting London soon and have a day to myself with nothi g to do. I never get time alone these days and would love some ideas as to where is nice to wander around. I am not interested in the crown jewels or any of that kind of stuff, more so ideas of where is nice to stroll around, pop in for coffee, look in shops etc... any ideas welcome. Thanks.
Lorna Doone Posts: 737
Covent Garden. It's always lively. Lots of nice shops & lovely places to eat. Nearby Neal Street is a nice alternative to the high street usuals. St Christopher's is another favourite spot. Next door to Selfridges, it's a little pocket just off Oxford Street. Great eating to be had there. Have fun!
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
St. Paul's Cathedral and over the bridge to the Tate followed by a stroll along the South Bank. Second-hand book stalls, an array of eateries, skateboarders defying gravity, and the British Film Institute if you fancy a flick. Might even get a Waterloo sunset if yer lucky. Have fun.
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Love London and just strolling around. I second Covent garden area but also like Kensington/Knightsbridge. You could start out here and stroll around Harrods and walk up towards Hyde Park/green park. Then either keep walking up as far as Leicester Square and onto Covent Garden or you could get the tube -I think the Picadilly line goes from Knightsbridge to Covent Garden.
Thank you all so much. I will be writing all these down. Can't wait :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Roxanne Posts: 3201
What day if the week will you be there? If it's a Wednesday, You could try to get to a matinee of one of the musicals in the West End. Lots of theatres around Covent Garden so you could actually do both a show and shopping. God I would just LOVE to be planning a day wandering around London! I used to live there, and never tire of it... :lvs
MrsGilhooley Posts: 1235
I love Fortnum & Mason for a wander through and lunch / afternoon tea in the ground floor restaurant or coffee and cakes in the ice-cream bar on the first floor.
It's a Friday...can't wait! Thanks for the ideas ladies, i don't think i'll be bored!