A few questions about the birth and related things!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
I bought a 3 euro very attractive nightie in Dunnes for the birth, it's just like an over sized t shirt. Will this do? and then I was wondering shoud I get two? If your waters break in hospital and go everywhere do you stay in that soggy nightie or change? Then I was wondering roughly how long you normally bleed for after the birth are we talking days or weeks? And when should you pack your bags? Thanks Ladies
LJMom Posts: 1100
Hi Delta Nu, I bought 3 of those nighties they are dirt cheap in Pennies as well. You will just throw them out afterwards better to have too many as you could be a good few hours (sorry!) and a fresh one is good to have! Also get the maternity sanitary towels in Mothercare they are the best. Boots do them to but they are not as good. I’m not sure what the standard time for bleeding is as I ended in two emergency C sections I bled for about 4 (on my 2nd)-6 (on my 1st) weeks. I also bought the disposable pants in Mothercare & they were the best investment ever. You may think they are horrible now but believe me they are so handy for the first few days after the birth. Also remember to try get dark coloured pyjamas for afterwards if you are in hospital & having visitors at least you will be more comfortable in dark colours incase of leaks etc. :-8 Sorry if this all sounds disgusting! But I wished somebody told me all that my first time around. Best of luck :wv
6 weeks !!!!!!! :eek Good God that is not something to look forward to! Thanks for advice though
LJMom Posts: 1100
I know not sure if thats unusual but I was also very shocked :eek :eek Second time around was much easier!!
newyearbabs Posts: 686
I have 2 of the huge nightdresses from dunnes and plan to throw them out after the big event. I packed at 36wks which was grand because I thought I everything to pack away but I didn't so it gave me time to get the extra few bits and pieces. I still am putting bits in now :eek
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Two or maybe three of the nightdresses will be plenty. Once I had the epi, I was sitting on the bed, and nightdress was basically up around my waist, so when my waters went everywhere, they didn't get the nightdress, so I didn't need to change until after the birth. You'll throw it away afterwards as it'll be covered in blood and guts :o0 I had a vaginal delivery and had heavy-ish bleeding for about 8 days, then it was more like spotting for another 4 weeks. I think they tell you that you'll bleed for an average of around 6 weeks. I started packing bags for hospital at around 32 weeks, but it took me until about 37 weeks to finish them :-8. You're advised to do it arond 32-34 weeks in case you go into labour early. HTH
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:3d98bylv]I got two of those cheapy nighties in Pennys. For the birth they just lift the end up above your tummy and place baba on your tum tum when s/he is born, so what you got is perfect!! I got the pj's from Mothercare for the hospital which were just so comfortable. I had originally bought normal pjs that were 2 sizes too big for me thinking they'd be fine but they were too uncomfortable. the Mothercare ones were just so comfy. They're expensive but I was in them for weeks after I came home from hospital!! I bleed a lot after the birth but that's because I had two episiotomies. From about the third day it eased off but was more or less like a heavy period for about 2 weeks, then a bit lighter for about another 3 weeks. I had my bags packed well in advance and just as well because I was nearly three weeks early!![/color:3d98bylv]
Thanks for all your replies meant to ask aswell if labour goes well how long do they keep you in for? I'll be going to CUMH.
itwillbeme Posts: 838
[quote=" [b:rywniv6f]blood and guts :o0 [/b:rywniv6f] Oh my god... :eek
dovedro Posts: 1295
[quote="Delta Nu":3fxycyyk]I bought a 3 euro very attractive nightie in Dunnes for the birth, it's just like an over sized t shirt. Will this do? and then I was wondering shoud I get two? If your waters break in hospital and go everywhere do you stay in that soggy nightie or change? Then I was wondering roughly how long you normally bleed for after the birth are we talking days or weeks? And when should you pack your bags? Thanks Ladies[/quote:3fxycyyk] I bought 2 of those dunnes nightdresses two so I'm hoping they do the job, planning on throwing them away after. I've got 3 pairs of oversized coloured PJ's for the hospital stay too and I got lots of disposable underwear in mothercare and also lots of big black granny knickers :-8 for the few weeks following also I'm almost finished packing my bags now, still have a few more bits to pick up