A philosophical question about the world!!!!!!!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

willful Posts: 6822
Because I'm in that type of mood!!! Had a debate today about whether people in general care about others or not. I reckoned that we (as people) do care about others, that it's in our nature as human beings to care for others and want to nurture others. My friend however was of the opinion that, yes people might superficially care but deep down, we are much more concerned about ourselves and that people are by nature, selfish beings. I kinda find that really cynical-I think I need to think that people do actually care and want to help others, otherwise, what's the point? He reckons that We would be lucky to find people who actually cared about others-so what do you think? Are we as humans selfish or caring [b:c2l0z4j3]in general[/b:c2l0z4j3]? (minimal specifics please, am talking generally!!!)
milis Posts: 7998
This is like the argument between Pheobe and Joey about whether there can be a selfless good deed :o0 I think that people are caring, and in general will help out where they can. I also think that we are self preserving, in most cases people will not do something for another that will harm themselves. But you could argue that this has longer term helping benefits, as if you allow yourself to be hurt, you won't be able to help anyone any more (iykwim). WOL is a case in point. How many wives are still hanging around here and answering questions in Old Faithful even though it's not going to help them? But maybe it makes them feel better to help others, so it's a selfish act really. It's a vicious circle!
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
I think it's human nature to look out for number one, it's just a matter of survival. Offspring become number one because their wellbeingl is necessary for the survival of the species.
[quote="Milis":2ce001l6]This is like the argument between Pheobe and Joey about whether there can be a selfless good deed :o0 I think that people are caring, and in general will help out where they can. I also think that we are self preserving, in most cases people will not do something for another that will harm themselves. But you could argue that this has longer term helping benefits, as if you allow yourself to be hurt, you won't be able to help anyone any more (iykwim). WOL is a case in point. [b:2ce001l6]How many wives are still hanging around here and answering questions in Old Faithful even though it's not going to help them? [/b:2ce001l6]But maybe it makes them feel better to help others, so it's a selfish act really. It's a vicious circle![/quote:2ce001l6] I post in OF but I dunno if I'd count it as a really caring thing to do, I do it because I want to, suppose also to help people but it's not really a big thing.
It might not be a BIG thing, but it's a helpful thing! And I'm sure you don't get anything out of it???
[quote="Milis":2gu0g95w]It might not be a BIG thing, but it's a helpful thing! And I'm sure you don't get anything out of it???[/quote:2gu0g95w] Sometimes I show off :-8 :-8 :o0
So.... Joey was right... there are no selfless good deeds ;o(
[quote="Milis":226yyrwr]So.... Joey was right... there are no selfless good [b:226yyrwr]deads[/b:226yyrwr] ;o([/quote:226yyrwr] :ooh
:-8 I just can't live in a world where Joey is right :o0
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
I think it's human nature to be selfish and think of oneself, survival of the fittest and all that. Think about it, if you had a choice of dying, or 1,000 anonymous people around the world dying instead, which would you choose? I think an honest person would go for the self-preservation option. However I think society teaches us to care about others, in general those we can relate to.