A week late, but she's finally here!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Moniebravo Posts: 22
After waiting for a week past my due date, Aoife Christene finally arrived at 3.01pm on Saturday. I woke up at 2.30pm with a bad pain in my hips and so decided to get up and walk around for a bit. After a while I started getting mild contractions but thought they might just be Braxton hicks. At 9am I made the mistake of having a bath to ease the pain. Once out again, the contractions were coming every 8/9mins, lasting only about 30secs. I got back onto my birthing ball and bounced away to try and get things back up to. In the end we left for the hospital at 11.45am, arriving up in the labour ward at 12pm. Once again my contractions started to fade away, but thankfully (and a surprise to both the midwife and myself) I was 5cms dilated. I got onto the birthing ball for a while, and walked around for a bit until about 2.15pm when I decided to finally have some gas and air. I’m glad I didn’t wait much longer as I found out it wasn’t working properly and the midwife had to get a new cylinder and the valve wasn’t open properly on the one I had, which meant I could only take one breath before it stopped working. I’d just tested out the new cylinder when my waters finally broke-yippee! I was helped back onto the bed and examined again, where they said I was now 7cms. My disappointment was short lived as 2 contractions later I was 9cms! With the next contraction I only dilated ½ a cm so still couldn’t start pushing. After a couple more I was still the same but really wanted to push so they helped me turn onto my side. At this point I had a huge contraction and Aoifes' head came out! They quickly helped me turn onto my back again and 2 contractions later, Aoife was out. I’m so glad I did it all just on gas and air again, even if I did freeze the top of the cylinder! I could feel everything, except the pain, which made it so special as I felt in total control. I had watched so many birth stories on Sky that I knew exactly what to do and when. I definitely recommend gas and air to anyone as it’s so much fun, and apart from the odd strange comment, it kept me quiet. Two days on and we’re both doing really well at home. My DD’s doing really well with her and although she’s re-testing her boundaries, she’s not too bad. I’m glad I didn’t wait at home until my waters broke (as originally planned) as I probably wouldn’t have made it to the hospital in time!
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
Congrats glad everything wents so well.best of luck with your little girl.
Sugababe Posts: 130
Awe congratulations :lvs :lvs And well done it sounds like you did really well :o)ll Enjoy your little girl now.
Topolino Posts: 1659
What a great birth story! You made it sound like a breeze! Glad it all went so well - looking forward to the gas myself! Congratulations and welcome to baby Aoife.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Congratulations, you make the whole thing sound so wonderful and painless :o)ll
under construction Posts: 3458
Oh my god you made that sound so amazing. Congratulations :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll and thanks for sharing your story
bluebell07 Posts: 182
Congratulations!!! :thnk :thnk :thnk
oirish Posts: 1541
you make it sound so easy !! congratultions Simone and welcome baby Aoife :)
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
simone thats fantastic you had her so quick, welcome baby aoife and congrats to you and hubby
Wannabamama Posts: 481
Great birth story and congratulations! :o)ll