Abnormal smear result - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Carly80 Posts: 49
Try not to worry Black Cat I know easier said than done but abnormal smears are really common and most of the time they go back to normal themselves. If the doc was in anyway worried you would be sent for further investigation so try and put it to the back of your mind. As well as that they do keep a close eye on things like this so they don't get a chance to advance.
Mrs Gill Posts: 223
You poor thing. You sound really run down. Look after yourself for the next while and don't over do it. don't worry about the smear, it's really common. I had abnormal results about 2 years ago - they said it was the first level, not even precancerous. Anyway went back 6 months later and they were back to normal. I get it checked every year now, just to be on the safe side. Take care and try not to worry.
Septbride Posts: 380
Hi BC -Try not to worry - I had an abnormal result in 2005 (got the result day before my wedding!!! - nearly collapsed) However went back 6 mths later and all was fine and have had another since and that was fine too. My own doc said I may have just had an infection that day or any number of reasons but he was never concerned. But it is hard not to worry!!. As the girls said relax and mind yourself for a few days untill you feel up to speed again xx
gogogirl Posts: 1071
Same thing happened me and I freaked out but all was perfect 6 months later. Doc says it probably was thrush or something!
Sunbeam Posts: 2721
It's only if you have a few smears in a row with abnormal cells that your doctor will start to pay closer attention. One abnormal smear is not a lot to worry about, as my gynae told me, it's harder to say a smear is normal than it is to say it's abnormal, so to be on the safe side, a lot of doctors/ nurses will say it's abnormal and bring you back 6 months later to follow it up. I had abnormal cells last year (3 smears in a row) so had to go for a colposcopy - everything came back fine and the words of the doctor in the hospital were something along the lines of "over-cautious doctor had identified abnormal cells". It'll be fine, but as others said, just make sure you go back for follow-up smears as necessary.
stjude Posts: 121
blackcat - it had an explanation in the newspapares there recently and I definitely woudlnt be worried - it I were you - I know thats something coming from me I am the worlds worse worrier
Tedsters Posts: 1688
BC try not to worry as the other wollies who have similar experiences have all turned out normal on the next smear. I blame the time of year for being rundown and wonder if you could sneak in a nice sun holiday to perk yourselves up.
*gone* Posts: 4785
Hi BlackCat - don't worry about the result ... firstly, even if there IS anything wrong, it will be caught at such an early stage that they will be able to treat it before it gets in anyway harmful. Also, I have been told by a friend who works in a fertility clinic that normally GP's do smears on wooden spatulas (like lollypop sticks!) but that she uses metallic ones because the wooden ones give a lot more abnormal results - the metallic ones give much better results. I've had abnormal smears and went for a repeat and it's all been fine. Like the other posters said, thrush might have interfered with the results. Take care! :wv
MRSWJ Posts: 540
It is very common! I had two abnormal ones come back but I think it was due to the fact that the place my doctor sent them off to be tested took 6 months to come back EACH! The third time I asked for it to be sent private and had results back in two weeks and everything was fine. I don't think smear tests could be "fresh" (TMI, I know) six months later. Its a disgrace. [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img:2h1yltt3]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;6/st/20070617/e/our+1st+Anniversary/dt/6/k/48ab/event.png[/img:2h1yltt3] [/url]
Ducky Posts: 2506
It's fine pet, your doc is just being vigilant. Thrush will indeed bugger up a smear, as can certain hormonal changes. I too had an abnormal one and I was spotting a lot but it turned out to be a cervical erosion, totally harmless but they zapped it with a cauterisation loop a few weeks later. Three hours in hospital, knocked me out, two days off work, no pain, all sorted since, no problem. I'd say the thrush is what shagged yours, don't you worry. And mind yourself, you sound a bit run-down. Or pg?????