Acupuncture during pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Surfbaby Posts: 396
Hi all, I have had regular treatments during this preg of acupuncture and find it great. I am just wondering if anyone had regular sessions of acupuncture and found it helped then have a faster and dare I say easier labour? My acupuncturist is convinced I will be well able for a natural birth which I would love but am keeping an open mind.
kala Posts: 1937
i had it all through my 1st pregnancy but ended up with an emergency c section after getting to 6cm cos ds went into fetal distress so in a way you can't predict whats going to happen, but i did however recover very quickly after the c section but i don't know if accupuncture had anything to do with it. didn't have it on ds2 and i gave birth naturally without an epidural because i went from 3cm up in the emergency room to 10cm within an hr of getting to the labour ward. so from my experience i can't say it had any effect
prob wishing thinking :o0
Smurfette Posts: 522
I had about 4 sessions of acupuncture when I was pregnant. The first two was to treat rib pain and the second two was to help with the labour....though I don't think I got enough treatments to help with labour (my own fault, I booked them too late). I only went a few days past my due date but I am sorry to report I had a long labour. From when my waters broke, I was in labour for 20 hours. I didn't ask for pain relief until after 13/14 hours though....I was able to cope well before that....I only asked for it because I was so tired and worried I would be too exhausted to push at the end. But I do think the acupuncture helped!
Emomc Posts: 2069
I had acupuncture done almsot every day in the final week of my pregnancy (my friend is an acupuncturist). I had a really good birthing experience (I was also doing hypnobirthing). My friend told me that it can help soften the cervix if you have it done close to term and so dilation should be quicker (mine certainly was). if you are enjoying it I would def keep it up and I believe it will help you.
feather Posts: 1831
hey Ive been going to accupuncture for fertility for well over a year and I have discussed with my acupuncturist about it during pg. Firstly, for me at the moment (early pg) she does holding points which are supposed to help with development and sustaining the pregnancy in the early stages. I also hear it can be good to relieve morning sickness... (time might tell with that one!) Now, this next bit she told me before my bfp, so I didnt pay too much attention, but she did say that they are doing studies that indicate that in women who have accu in late pregnancy have on average significantly shorter labour's. Now, I dont have any links to studies etc, but Im sure I will be asking more questions as time goes on...
Emomc Posts: 2069
[quote="feather":2dp9fvsj]hey doing studies that indicate that in women who have accu in late pregnancy have on average significantly shorter labour's. Now, I dont have any links to studies etc, but Im sure I will be asking more questions as time goes on...[/quote:2dp9fvsj] My labour was pretty short!
draiocht Posts: 483
Hi a great website is , There is lots of info on acupressure during labour, research that has been carried out, and a handout you can print out to use during labour and in the run up. Hope this helps.
Thank so much for all the info. I have been going for years and find it brill. Wouldnt stop for the world. I suppose I was just hoping it may help me cos I know it has helped with pregnancy as I have not had one sick day and feel great other than a bit of anxiety:) Here's hoping for a short labour :o)ll