Advice for Flu Vaccination

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsryan2be Posts: 231
Hi, Can anyone give me some advice on the flu vaccination while pregnant? :wv
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
It's definitely recommended. Proper flu is a really nasty illness, and getting it while pregnant can be quite serious. If you get vaccinated while pregnant, your baby will have some immunity as well once it's born. And the flu vaccine here doesn't contain any mercury, which is something some people worry about. It's been routine in the US (and probably lots of other places as well) to vaccinate pregnant women for years, and seems to be completely safe.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I got it last year and had no issues. I had real flu once in school and it was awful. I'm a firm believer in prevention being better than cure.
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
Definitely get it! Protect yourself and your baby.
MiniJ Posts: 118
I asked my consultant for advice on flu jab and she gave me the HSE line that you have to get it etc. She's expecting herself so I asked her was she going to get it and she said no. Good enough reason for me not to!
bobby2012 Posts: 644
As my Gp said only a couple of weeks ago (again) - they are asked by the HSE to encourage people to get it; these are the official guidelines. Would she recommend it to me as an honest advice? No. Would she get it herself? No. I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and never got it and won't this winter either. My husband never got it and we will never give it to our kids. That's it for us pretty much.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
The flu can be very serious for pregnant women and for this reason I got it last year. I spoke to my consultant about it beforehand and he was in full support of it. There is no real reason to get it unless you are in a risk category as your body can work through it. I would suggest that you get it.
ladyinwaiting13 Posts: 43
I got it under the strong advice of my GP. She is usually over cautious, would not otherwise advocate any medication is she thought there was a slight chance of negative side effects, so I trusted her opinion on it. I also asked my midwife who is 8 months pregnant in Holles street about it. She told me she had it on this pregnancy and her previous 2 pregnancies and she said quite simply it is foolish not to protect yourself and your babies. All the evidence shows absolutely no effects on your baby ( some research suggests children have a boosted immune system for first 6 months of life). The vast majority of health care professionals recommend it for your good health, and the remainder have no evidence to prove it does any harm. In the end you have to put your trust in the professionals and the medical research that is available. This flu vaccine had been used in US for years and years so plenty of data available. But it is a very personal decision, and even though I know it was the right thing for me to do, I understand there is still a certain level of fear of vaccinations that exists amongst some people. Best of luck with your decision.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
[quote="ladyinwaiting13":25q85qtv]This flu vaccine had been used in US for years and years so plenty of data available. But it is a very personal decision, and even though I know it was the right thing for me to do, I understand there is still a certain level of fear of vaccinations that exists amongst some people. Best of luck with your decision.[/quote:25q85qtv] Just to clarify, it is not necessarily a fear of vaccinations that stops people from getting it. I'm a pregnant asthmatic and I would never get it, but I have no problem with vaccination. It is also not entirely true this vaccine has been used for years because every year the flu mutates and the vaccine is therefore altered. I personally would prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't, and the flu vaccines are not sufficiently tested for long-term effects.
Bunnybun Posts: 573
Got the flu jab and will also get the whooping cough vaccination that they are now recommending for pregnant woman to have the baby immune for the first 2 months, before they get their own vaccinations!