Advice for Flu Vaccination - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ructions Posts: 2689
I didn't get it, my consultant really wasn't too pushed about it.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
[quote="bobby2012":qxitjtum] Just to clarify, it is not necessarily a fear of vaccinations that stops people from getting it. I'm a pregnant asthmatic and I would never get it, but I have no problem with vaccination. It is also not entirely true this vaccine has been used for years because every year the flu mutates and the vaccine is therefore altered. I personally would prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't, and the flu vaccines are not sufficiently tested for long-term effects.[/quote:qxitjtum] The strain of virus changes every year, but the way the vaccine is made and the other ingredients don't. The flu vaccine is one of the most widely-used immunisations anywhere, and there's no evidence it causes any long-term effects. Whereas flu itself kills people every year. Yes, the risk of becoming seriously ill with flu is small, but it's categorically greater than any theoretical risk from a vaccine. It's a no-brainer for me.
ladyinwaiting13 Posts: 43
Just to clarify, it is not necessarily a fear of vaccinations that stops people from getting it. I'm a pregnant asthmatic and I would never get it, but I have no problem with vaccination. It is also not entirely true this vaccine has been used for years because every year the flu mutates and the vaccine is therefore altered. I personally would prefer the devil I know to the devil I don't, and the flu vaccines are not sufficiently tested for long-term effects.[/quote] I probably didn't explain myself clearly Bobbi2012. When I said fear of vaccinations I didn't mean an actual fear of getting the needle etc. I meant a fear of putting anything into our bodies that has the possible potential to cause our babies harm. I completely understand why so many woman take the risk not to get it. As I said, it is hugely personal, and to be honest when I decided to get it myself although I knew it was the right thing to do for me in my situation, there was a tiny part of me that was paranoid about the risks of actually getting it. However, whenever I look at the actual facts and research I am reassured. There is 19 years of continued research on literally thousands of woman on this issue, conducted by the Centre for Diseases Control and Prevention. Millions of pregnant women around the world get it annually. All research clearly indicates there is no adverse affects to babies. In fact in very recent studies published in Pediatrics journal, scientists studied the rates of developmental disorders like Austism among nearly 97,000 children, they found that Mums who fought the flu while expecting had children with double the risk of of being diagnosed with autism before their 3rd birthday. Find me a study that proves that the flu vaccine doubles the risk of autism in children and I will be very very worried that I made the wrong decision. My advice is to look deeply into all the studies and weigh up the risks on either side.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
[quote="ladyinwaiting13":261lultc] I probably didn't explain myself clearly Bobbi2012. When I said fear of vaccinations I didn't mean an actual fear of getting the needle etc. I meant a fear of putting anything into our bodies that has the possible potential to cause our babies harm.[/quote:261lultc] Me too. Personally, I would feel that's what I'd be doing. [quote:261lultc]Find me a study that proves that the flu vaccine doubles the risk of autism in children and I will be very very worried that I made the wrong decision. My advice is to look deeply into all the studies and weigh up the risks on either side.[/quote:261lultc] I never mentioned autism at all. I have no studies that support or negate your theory, autism is hardly my greatest concern (by the way succeptibility to autism is genetic). I actually have no links to studies now, suffice to say I read a few 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my 1st child. The point is that even the acedemic/medical world is divided on the flu vaccine. This thread alone shows that for every gp/consultant that recommends it there's one who won't and vice versa. I think people have to make their mind up themselves which risks they consider greater.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I have got it already on this pregnancy, am only six weeks. I also got it(the swine flu one) on dd2 with no ill effects at all. I work with children so it would be irresponsible of me not to get it I think as I'd risk passing it on to small children if I got it. I'll also be getting the whooping cough vaccine later as I had it as a child and it was horrendous. Everyone needs to make up their own mind but I've never heard any evidence against it.
ladyinwaiting13 Posts: 43
[quote="bobby2012":2bomvwoe][quote="ladyinwaiting13":2bomvwoe] I probably didn't explain myself clearly Bobbi2012. When I said fear of vaccinations I didn't mean an actual fear of getting the needle etc. I meant a fear of putting anything into our bodies that has the possible potential to cause our babies harm.[/quote:2bomvwoe] Me too. Personally, I would feel that's what I'd be doing. [quote:2bomvwoe]Find me a study that proves that the flu vaccine doubles the risk of autism in children and I will be very very worried that I made the wrong decision. My advice is to look deeply into all the studies and weigh up the risks on either side.[/quote:2bomvwoe] I never mentioned autism at all. I have no studies that support or negate your theory, autism is hardly my greatest concern (by the way succeptibility to autism is genetic). I actually have no links to studies now, suffice to say I read a few 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my 1st child. The point is that even the acedemic/medical world is divided on the flu vaccine. This thread alone shows that for every gp/consultant that recommends it there's one who won't and vice versa. I think people have to make their mind up themselves which risks they consider greater.[/quote:2bomvwoe] Just to clarify, this is not MY theory, I didn't come up with it out of thin air. I found this study while doing a hell of a lot of research to help me make my decision on the flu vaccine. Here is what it says... "A recent study found that expectant mothers who have the flu during pregnancy were twice as likely to have a child with autism, according to a report published in Pediatrics journal. The correlation reinforces recommendations that pregnant women get the flu shot. Researchers in Denmark and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention interviewed mothers about infections and high fevers during pregnancy and after birth. Findings were based on the births of 97,000 Danish children between 8 and 14 years of age. Only 1 percent of the children were diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, despite the increased risk. The study found that mothers whose fevers persisted for longer than a week in the third trimester were three times as likely to have a child on the autism spectrum. The study is being published in the journal Pediatrics" I'm glad you are not too concerned about Autism. Personally I would be very concerned about any disorders that would impinge on the quality of life of my children. As its a relatively new study, more research has to be done to substantiate the findings. And expectant Mums who have had the flu have been urged not to panic, as the chances of developmental disorders in babies is low even in these circumstances. However, for me the fact that there is any evidence to support protecting yourself and your baby, and none to prove that the flu vaccine does cause harm is a no brainer. Oh and by the way, susceptibility to Autism is both genetic AND environmental. If you read into the medical research that is available on the topic you'd see this to be true. To the OP, as I said, lots of research available out there, it's up to you to do the reading and come to your own conclusions. All I can say is that in everything I've read I have yet to come across one single piece of research that has shown any harmful effects of the flu vaccine on babies of expectant mothers over the 19 years of studies. Maybe there is, but I have just failed to find it. I'd be interested in reading about it if it is out there, and I will stand corrected :) All the best
bobby2012 Posts: 644
ladyinwaiting, to be perfectly honest with you, I don't presume to have sufficient medical knowledge to read medical research (which is why I keep that to a minimum). And by research, I mean the actual 10-20 pages article originally put together by the researches with all its fine print, not the abstract that is printed in the papers. From my experience in psychology research, those fine print make a world of difference to the real findings of said research and how they should be taken. As I said, I'm not suficiently knowledgable in medicine so I won't go into that. So for me the fact that the medical proffessionals are so divided in regard to the vaccine is reason enough not to take it or give it to my kids. If they have reasons not to trust the flu vaccine, that's enough for me. And for the record, I never said I didn't care about autism; I said it was not the only thing I cared about. The problem with this vaccine, taking from said medical professionals, is that it is unclear what it can actually cause. And in regard to autism - it is genetic. Environmental factors trigger genetic suceptibility, that's all. Believe me, I did read enough on that.
MrsPositive Posts: 1548
this is always going to be a controversial topic, i deliberated for ages on it and decided against it in the end. I attend two different doctors in the one practice and both of them said they wouldnt recommend I take it, One went as far as to say that if I did take it she would like me to sign something saying that she had advised me against taking it. She said its fine for consultants etc to recommend these things their sole job is to get you through your pregnancy and get your baby out safely they have no after care for your child growing up and therefore would never be aware of any issues later in life. She reminded me of the swine flu vaccine a few years ago that all pregnant women were encouraged to get, she said that a batch of that dose was infected and several hundred children were effected with narcolepsy, I just personally dont want to take the chance. Like bobby said its a new strain of virus out every year to treat the flu of the season and its simply not tested on pregnant women according to my doctor. I said so what if I was to get the flu, she said we would treat you with anti biotics accordingly. Totally up to you most of my friends opted not to take it either, while a few others have. Make up your own mind by doing research and dont feel bullied into anything either way. best of luck with your decision.
CocoBeans Posts: 841
Such a tough choice, I opted to get it. I had it on this pregnancy and the last.
loopey Posts: 215
I got it a month ago and ended up getting the flu from it. I ended up in bed for a little over a week. I couldn't walk with the aches and pains in my body. Definitely wouldn't get it again.