Advice for new BFP's-get a yoga ball!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

leanbh1 Posts: 473
I know this seems like stupid advice but I was thinking about this today.Basically I used the yoga ball throughout my pregnancy because I found it really comfy to bounce around on,rather than sink into the coouch which became more difficult to get out of as the months wore on! But what I DIDN'T know was how doing the same thing would affect my newborn baby boy.It is an absolute GODSEND now he's actually here.When he is screaming crying with colic/wind/boredom whatever,just sitting on the ball and bouncing gently stops it instantly!I'm absolutely convinced it reminds him of being in the womb .Its the best soother in the world! So get bouncing girls-it'll help you now and when babs arrives :wv
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
Thanks for that! Where do you get those? (yes, I'm that clueless :o0 )
Martiespride Posts: 997
my friend says the exact same thing, she used it while pregnant and now its the only thing that settles the baby!!!!
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
Just be careful, your centre of gravity goes AWOL when you get a decent bump - I fell off the damn ball at 25 weeks!!!
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
Hmmm, wonder what else we could do that might relax baby afterwards?
oddwire Posts: 842
I'm a big believer in these - I'm always sitting on mine at home, really good for the back! Good to know it'll be useful for when the baby comes as well... You can get them in most sports shops, think argos do them as well, and probably online from any yoga / pilates suppliers. Thumbelina - was your ball too big? Most sports shops seem to only sell 65cm ones but in our pilates class anyone less than 5'7" uses a 55cm ball. You should be able to sit on it comfortably with your feet flat on the floor.
WinterGal Posts: 835
I got a 55cm ball in Tesco for 8.99 with a pump. It's supposed to help the baby get into the correct position at the later stages of pregnancy too.
Aurge Posts: 1456
Hi Girls thanks for the tip. When should I start using it? From now?? Or further into my pg? Also, its just the fit ball isnt it? Pilates ball isnt different right? Sorry for the blonde question. :wv :wv
leanbh1 Posts: 473
Just a few answers to your queries: I got mine in Marathon Sports but any sports shops do them and will usually pump them for you if you ask nicely.I suppose they're called fit balls too.I don't know. I had a 65" which did me grand.I'm only 5ft 3.I found anything smaller to be far too low. I would use it from any stage in pregnancy but you'll find it more useful from the second trimester on I'd say as you get more uncomfortable!I used mine more from around 26 weeks on. Another tip is to buy a "Slumber Bear".I got mine in Smyths.It recreates sounds from the womb and is fantastic for soothing baby off to sleep.My ds has a cold at the moment and is finding it hard to nod off.This calms him right down.He's snoring as I type! Hth :wv
Aurge Posts: 1456
Thanks for the tip leanbh1. Evertything is so new at this stage. I have sooo much to learn. Congratulations on your LO. :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll