Advice from Gardaí

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Glittergal Posts: 1504
Hey guys I just received this email thought I would share it with you [b:sr7hzddp]Folks, A bit of useful advice - verified by the Gardaí The number does work from a mobile. This actually happened to someone over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED Garda car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone. This connected her to the Garda dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing redlight on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over rightaway but wait until she was in a service station or busy area. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a Garda car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 Garda cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One Garda went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car. Apparently Gardaí have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe"place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the Gardaí because 999 does not work if you have no signal). This is good information that I did not know! Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females.[/b:sr7hzddp]
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
:eek
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
Thanks for the information. :thnk
Anonymous Posts: 24542
The info about 112 is true I think but the story has been doing the rounds for years! http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp
MrsWhippy09 Posts: 2346
OMG. :eek Thanks for the info! O:o)
Valkstar Posts: 2747
Sorry but that's not quite true. 112 is the European equivalent of 999, and is a handy number to know. However, if there is no signal, it does not work either. There is an "urban legend" that 112 connects you to a satellite which then relays your call on to the 999 network but it's only an urban legend. One thing 112 is really useful for is it works even when the keypad is locked on your mobile phone. If you come across an accident and have to use someone else's phone you don't need their pin - just type in 112. As a lot of phones are made abroad 999 mightn't work but 112 will.
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
[quote="Moo 2":vv9ttgoi]I would never have stopped for unmarked, but saying that when youre on your own in the car and youre afraid youve done something wrong and the last thing you want to do is further antagonise a garda. Also, in the U.S kids are told they dont have to go with a police officer without first asking for his id and his number and then phoning in to a police station to verify the number. Dont know if we could do that here though. " Step out of the vayheekell" "Well hold on a second Garda, maybe youre not a Garda at all at all, (you certainly dont look like your man out of CHIPS. Can I have your id number please?"[/quote:vv9ttgoi] I got pulled over by an unmarked a couple of months ago, and the last thing I thought of was checking him out...It was during the day time and I was just so stressed out (had overtaken on a solid white line - I know, :-8 ). I was in bits (learnt my lesson...) although I did think 'don't get out of the car...'.
Valkstar Posts: 2747
[quote="Moo 2":2tvw5skm] I wouldnt be checking out their tight leather pants astride those big motorcycles at all at all.[/quote:2tvw5skm] Oooh I would >:o)
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
A total and utter myth http://www.snopes.com/science/mobile.asp
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
what kind of twisted freaks dig up these old chain emails and change them to an Irish setting? Do they get some weird kick out of fear mongering? >:o(